Star-San question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shibbypwn

Reaction score
I'm probably just being paranoid- I switched to star San from iodaphor, and I just filled my carboy with sanitizer- tons of foam, which is new to me.

Is it fine to rack my beer into the foamy mess? Obviously I can't rinse it off, as that would defeat the purpose of using it.

Do I need to let the foam settle for a while before racking?

I don't know how many times we've suggested this, but if Charley Talley at Five Star doesn't start making "Don't Fear the Foam" t-shirts, I'm going to. It's too good an opportunity to pass up.

I admit that I am un-nerved by the foam. It is scary and intimidating. I dont want to put the foamy chemical in my precious beer. I hold my carboy upside down for a long while to let most of the foam fall out. Its not to the point where I will rinse it out with tap water, but very close.

Please help me. I fear the foam!

Theres nothing better than seeing all that foam come out the top of the carboy when racking. Its like 3rd grade science class volcanoes all over again!

I admit that I am un-nerved by the foam. It is scary and intimidating. I dont want to put the foamy chemical in my precious beer. I hold my carboy upside down for a long while to let most of the foam fall out. Its not to the point where I will rinse it out with tap water, but very close.

Please help me. I fear the foam!

Please check out the link I posted. You'll stop fearing the foam...

Back