Stalled Lagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcostas

Reaction score
I have two Lagers that seem to have stalled out on me.
Both using Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager. currently they are sitting at 54*F

A Bock which has been fermenting 3 weeks: OG 1.070 and Current G 1.022
And an Amber Lager which has been bubbling for two weeks: OG 1.062 and current G 1.018

I didn't crate a starter for either, at least initially which was probably problem uno (I did so later and pitched that 5 days ago).

If I do a Diacetyl rest will it reinvigorate the yeast, munching down the last of the sugars or am I boned on FG? Or should I be more patient?

Thanks dudes!
:drunk:

Yikes, starters are imperative for most beers, especially lagers, and very much so for ones over 1050. I highly suggest reading up on cell counts and starters for your next beers. As far as the rest you should be doing that rest anyway, regardless of the high gravity.

If it were me, I would try the rest and test the gravity every few days. Try a taste too, severely under-pitching might have created a motherload of off flavors to go along with the high gravity.

If the higher temp doesn't work, I don't know what else to suggest. Others may chime in on stirring, additional yeast, etc. I've never had to do such a thing...yet.

Good luck.

Short answer yes, time to do a d rest. Will more than likely finish the fermentation.

Back