Stalled Fermentation-Please Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NevermoreBrew

Reaction score
So there are a lot of threads on here about stalled fermentation but I couldnt find any quite like my situation. Im brewing an american hefe. the OG was 1.061. Its had been fermenting for about a week and a half and I racked it into the secondary as the fermentation slowed. But i think i racked it too soon. The fermentation has seemed to stall about .004 from where it should be (1.021 should be (1.017). Tried stirring it up a little today to see if it would restart but no success. I tasted a sample and it did taste a little too sweet. Any suggestions? should i pitch some more yeast? If so what would you recommend? Id prefer to not have to spend the $7 to buy the same yeast again but I guess I will if i have to. I used White Labs WLP320 yeast (american hefe) to start with. Thanks

In my opinion .004 is almost not worth worrying about. Nothing went "wrong". Your temps could have been slightly off, your measurements not exact, or your hydrometer slightly off. What temperature did you ferment at and what temperature did you check the gravity at?

If you think it is stalled, rouse the yeast and let it warm up to the higher end of the yeast's range.

Ditto on the 0.004 not being too far off. Probably had something to do with mash temps, ferm temps, or some combination of the two.

I took another gravity reading today...still hasn't moved. Tasted again and it tasted fine. Im just going to let it sit for a day or two to clear up and then keg and call it a day. 0.004 is not worth messing with it.

Back