Stainless Wiki Conical under $100?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about these for clamps:

lfdoubleclawclamp.jpg

Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't followed up on the project. I am remodeling my kitchen at this time and wont be able to play with it for a while. Feel free to post your projects on this thread, This isn't a one man show.

I think the gasket is going to be the big variable for everyone on this project. I think the pipe tape works well but others will be turned off by it. As for dumping wort on the kitchen floor, I always thought that I would put sanitizer in it over night and then replace with wort to guarantee a good seal.

Good luck guys, I will jump back in when I get a chance.

Lg

My funnel arrived today. What a beauty, but I never thought I'd spend this much on a funnel! Still waiting on the ring, but ordered the pot today. I contacted Barry at Prime Pacific (eBay store). He was extremely helpful and offered to measure a few pots in a case to find one that is closest to 11 7/8. You can contact him directly ar 310-762-6018 it's item #PPD400-20 for $19.99. That's a pretty good price for stainless. Even if it doesnt work, it'll be put to good use. Keeping my fingers crossed it will be the right size.

Lg,

Describe the pipe tape. Is this Teflon Tape? How many wraps did it take to seal? Did you end up wrapping each piece separately? Sure seems like a soft silicon gasket would be more secure. Anyone had any experience forming a gasket?

The pipe tape was the pink .69 cent stuff at Lowe's. I am not sure if it was teflon or not. It took me 3-4 wraps to build up a bit of a gasket which you will probably find is enough to seal the deal.

Let me just echo your review of prime pacific... they are great and went out of their way to make sure I got the pot on time. I highly recommend them.

Good Luck,

Lg

Thanks Lg. Let me also say thank you for doing the leg work to seek out these parts.

Regarding that fitting that attaches the bottom ball valve. . . What kind of fitting is that? I searched the sheves at Lowe's trying to find it, but no luck.

Bonwit,

I dont know what the technical name of the fitting is but it is 3/4" thread with a shoulder on it that is close to one inch. I used a 7/8 inch bit to drill the hole. The piece that I used I got from Lowes and it had a female "nut" on it. Look at the 3/4 inch stuff and you will see something that works.

The "beer tube" will not work as it is much too thick. The tolerances on this thing are VERY close.

Sorry no new pics I dont have a brewing room anymore until my remodel is complete.

Good Luck,

Lg

I looked everywhere, but couldn't find it. Was it with the PVC fittings or the copper?

The bucket ring arrived the other day and you're right, the tolerances are very close. Can't wait to get the pot and see how everything fits together. The bucket ring was a master stroke as it looks like it's going to be a very secure fit. I'm intent on trying to form a custom gasket using silicon sealant. I'm going to wax both surfaces, apply a bead and press fit the parts. Hopefully, the wax will prevent the silicon from sticking and I'll be able to produce a usable gasket.

Stay tuned.

So I am at home today working on my house and up pulls the UPS guy and drops off the bucket ring from Gemplers. Guess what the funnel and ring fit almost perfectly, (but not water tight)

PA260762-1.jpg

I am thinking a bead of food grade caulk around the inside of the ring and a chunk of tubing where the ring has a gap for the latch and it would be very water tight.

Now Where can we find a stainless pail that has the same opening as a brew bucket?

Lg

Bonwit,

there is the fitting it comes with that female "nut" on it. It may be a PVC connector but again any 3/4 inch fitting with a shoulder will work.

Lg

Well, I tried making a gasket using silicon sealer between the two oiled surfaces. Fail. There just isn't enough surface area to make a wide enough gasket that will survive disassembly. Also, I had the same issue with the handle rivets leaking.

I am rapidly approaching the point where I'm going to weld this thing together. A side benefit would be being able to weld some studs on the pot to attach legs.

It would have to be welded from the outside and one concern is filling the inside valley where the two parts come together. This would be the perfect location for bacteria to hide. My first thought was to fill w/ silver solder (I'm planning to cut a hole in the bottom of the pot (top of fermenter) to install a corny-keg lid, so that's the size hole I have to gain entrance through). Not sure I could solder in that tight a confinement. Wonder if epoxy would work?

Any ideas?

Ok, so the contact area between the 2 is too small to get a good seal.
Lets take another tack.

Try taking a flat sheet and sealing it against the pot with a gasket.
Take another flat gasket and use it to make a seal with the sheet against the funnel.

That you re now making a seal against the sheet steel would be easier than getting a seal against the 2 round surfaces.
Who cares about any difficult to clean edges in this scenario because it will be taken apart to clean.

I get the desire to try to get something for less but this project is inviting disaster. Relying on 36" of sealing surface is foolish especially without a purpose made gasket. You also have a 1/2" dump at the bottom which is too small to dump a hearty yeast plug. I tend to think you're overstating the benefit of a conical but if you really wanted one, you'd probably be better off with a part time job with all the time spent. You still have to put a racking port in and build a stand.

I know, I know, I'm the grumpy downer just poking holes in dreams.

I haven't given up. . . It's just on the back burner for now. Really, you'd be amazed how secure the pot and the funnel are. The steel clamp band works amazingly well and I wouldn't worry about it coming apart.

Sealing it is another matter, and I think the answer is going to be a purpose made gasket stretched around each surface. What I envision is like a wide rubber band that will form itself around the lip of each vessel. Just have to find such a band.

Wow...have the price for the pots risen that much in less than a year? The cheapest 20 qt stainless steel pot on their ebay store is $39.99 (but I'm not sure it's the same pot as the model you listed). I found their website and they list the model number with a MSRP of $49.99. Am I not finding the same product as you listed?

So I'm not sure anyone else is still trying to find a way to make this work, but I came across this while still searching for more options. Nice easy approach but I'm not sure it would provide the sealing power of something more flat. A little more searching and I found something else. Using a router with the appropriate bit, a jig, and a piece of wood like in this to make a mold might accomplish the gasket needed to make this work.

I'm going to try the same thing with SSF6 silver brazing rods from muggyweld. You can braze with these rods at 1150° and they are cadmium free, so it's food safe.

Latest posts

Back