Stainless Pot in 10G Cooler for Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blak97

Reaction score
Couldn't seem to find anyone posting about this on the forum.

Has anyone tried using a stainless steel pot inside a 10G orange cooler for a mash tun? I know there are plenty who say not to worry about compounds leaching from the plastic cooler, but I'd still like to eventually not have hot contact with plastic for long durations.

I have seen some people construct stainless-lined coolers, such as https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=500876, where the OP basically snugly fit a SS pot inside a 10G cooler, and synced up valve holes. The main issue here seemed to be that the cooler expanded at different rates than the metal due to the heat.

I'm thinking of a SS pot that doesn't perfectly line up with the cooler walls. It seems simple enough to place a SS pot inside the cooler (provided I could find a SS pot that has a small diameter but tall enough to carry the volume). I am thinking having water at mash temp (152-154) in the cooler for insulation purposes, then place the SS pot with the wort into the cooler. The SS pot would have a ball valve, and after 60 minutes, simply pull out my SS pot for sparging. Weight is definitely not an issue as my boil kettle contains way more volume; heat insulation doesn't seem to be an issue since the surrounding water and cooler insulates it; and I get to achieve my goal of having only SS is in contact with the wort.

Any problems with the setup I am thinking? Biggest barrier is finding a perfectly sized SS pot, but beside that I can't think of anything.

I think your idea would work, but why not just...

1) Wrap a steel mash tun with a couple rounds of Reflectix insulation AFTER you heat the strike water and mash-in? It'll melt instantly if flames touch it. This insulation plus a few well-placed pieces of velcro on it will keep your mash tun snug. Makes a great keg wrap too, with a bit of velcro. http://www.acehardware.com/product/..._clickid=a339e71c-3658-4dd4-8a33-43a1d6481eb4

Or

2) Warm your steel mash tun briefly with a gentle flame every 15-20 mins to offset any temp loss?

I'm sure others on HBT will have simple insulation ideas too.

- How do you get the SS kettle inside the cooler when the former has a ball valve sticking out of it?

- If you cut a vertical slot in the cooler to allow the kettle ball valve to clear, there goes the idea of a "water jacket"...

- ...which likely isn't as easy to do as you think. If you put enough water in the cooler to "line" the sidewall it's going to try to float the kettle.

The idea needs more work.

fwiw, there was an HBT member that carved out the liner from a cooler to press-fit a kettle inside. It's out there somewhere...

Cheers!

Well I was thinking of fitting in the pot with the ball valve into the cooler, but now I realize the pot would have to be very small in radius and tall in proportion, so that simply isn't feasible.

Couldn't seem to find anyone posting about this on the forum.

Has anyone tried using a stainless steel pot inside a 10G orange cooler for a mash tun? I know there are plenty who say not to worry about compounds leaching from the plastic cooler, but I'd still like to eventually not have hot contact with plastic for long durations.

I have seen some people construct stainless-lined coolers, such as https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=500876, where the OP basically snugly fit a SS pot inside a 10G cooler, and synced up valve holes. The main issue here seemed to be that the cooler expanded at different rates than the metal due to the heat.

I'm thinking of a SS pot that doesn't perfectly line up with the cooler walls. It seems simple enough to place a SS pot inside the cooler (provided I could find a SS pot that has a small diameter but tall enough to carry the volume). I am thinking having water at mash temp (152-154) in the cooler for insulation purposes, then place the SS pot with the wort into the cooler. The SS pot would have a ball valve, and after 60 minutes, simply pull out my SS pot for sparging. Weight is definitely not an issue as my boil kettle contains way more volume; heat insulation doesn't seem to be an issue since the surrounding water and cooler insulates it; and I get to achieve my goal of having only SS is in contact with the wort.

Any problems with the setup I am thinking? Biggest barrier is finding a perfectly sized SS pot, but beside that I can't think of anything.

I think you're going to be chasing your tail on this one. I recommend either using one or the other as I don't really see the point in what you're trying to do. You can get can get really good mash tuns out of a plastic cooler or a ss pot with no problems

And then when you are done messing with reflectix and sleeping bags buy youself a Chapman Thermobarrel and think "why didnt I just do this to begin with?" I am sooooo pleased with mine!

Back