stabilizing and back sweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trapper1196

Reaction score
I have 10 gallons of hard cider that have aged in 2 carboys, I want to back sweeten and bottle now. Do I dose with campden tablets (550mg) first, and if so how many? Then 24 hours later does with sorbate before sweetening it?.....Oh, and it fermented out dry before aging.

Ive never heard of using Campden tabs before back sweetening and bottling.. Is this something that people do?
I personally do the "Hot water" method to kill the yeast once I'm where I want to be IRT carbonation, after back-sweetening.

1 campden tablet and sorbate per 5 gallons. I'd let it sit 24 hours to ensure it kills any yeast and then backsweeten/bottle the next day. That's the route I was told to go with for my wine. It worked for me.

This is copy/pasted from the cider for beginners "sticky" thread, if it is helpful:

Sweetening the Cider:

If the cider is finished, and clear, then campden and sorbate will allow you to sweeten the cider. If it's not finished and there are a lot of lees (sediment), it won't do anything.

The way it works is that sorbate does not kill yeast, but it prevents yeast reproduction. So, in an active fermentation when there are hundreds and hundreds of billions of active yeast, it won't do a thing. But once fermentation stops, and the cider clears, and the cider is racked off of the fallen yeast, it can be added to prevent yeast reproducing, thereby not allowing fermentation to begin again (usually). Sorbate works better in the presence of sulfite (campden), so they are generally added together.

However, it will NOT stop an active fermentation and will not work in a cider that is not clear and done fermenting.

If you use this method, and it is successful, you can sweeten to taste without any risk of bottle bombs.

Because the yeast has been inhibited, however, you will not be able to bottle carbonate the cider. Carbonation is a function of the yeast.

It's fairly easy to make a sweet still cider, or a dry carbonated cider. To make a sweet sparkling cider, extra steps and techniques like bottle pasteurization or kegging would be needed.

This is copy/pasted from the cider for beginners "sticky" thread, if it is helpful

Because the yeast has been inhibited, however, you will not be able to bottle carbonate the cider. Carbonation is a function of the yeast.

Thanks for making things a lot more clearer than I did.

Back