St Louis Beer Guide

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else coming into town for Abraxas? I got a ticket for Saturday the 4th at 4 PM and would love to share some bottles at side project cellar before.

Wish I could make it in town, but I am having someone pick mine up.

ok... probably been asked (possibly by me) but where is the best area to stay for bars and restaurants.

Only agenda is Side Project and food

ok... probably been asked (possibly by me) but where is the best area to stay for bars and restaurants.

Only agenda is Side Project and food

Anywhere along I64 from 170 to Grand Ave. The area south of Forest Park is probably the most centrally located spot.

Os

Yeah I've hot-wired with success in the Forest Park area and gotten very nice hotels.

SRY not SRY for this post. A good friend is being deployed in the soon to be near future. He likes Side Project a little too much. Anyone in the area available for a #gapiufmb? Can swapsies for a similar hookup from out here. Trading for bottles has been a hazardous sitch. Slide into my PMz.

Anyone around tomorrow evening to share some bottles at Side Project Cellar? I'll be around through Friday for work but tomorrow night is likely the best day for me to stop in. Let me know, would love to meet some TB'ers!

I'm spending next weekend 8th-10th in the city with a friend,
We're mostly going for SP and foods (how original), what's the difference between The Cellar and The Brewery?, should we plan to visit both or just The Cellar.
What are the odds of Coconut Vibes lasting until next weekend?
Our extended list includes
Perennial
4 Hands
Urban Chestnut
2nd Shift
Narrow Gauge
We'll probably can't do everything on the list, looking for recos into what to keep, also looking for people to split bottles with at SP.

I'm spending next weekend 8th-10th in the city with a friend,
We're mostly going for SP and foods (how original), what's the difference between The Cellar and The Brewery?, should we plan to visit both or just The Cellar.
What are the odds of Coconut Vibes lasting until next weekend?
Our extended list includes
Perennial
4 Hands
Urban Chestnut
2nd Shift
Narrow Gauge
We'll probably can't do everything on the list, looking for recos into what to keep, also looking for people to split bottles with at SP.
The Cellar has some SP/Shared on tap and in bottles as well beers from other breweries. It's smaller and cozier and also has wine and a really good whiskey list. It's open Tues-Sat.

The Brewery only has SP/Shared on tap and in bottles. It's more open and can be a little crazy if there was a release that day. It's open Sat and Sun only. There is a better chance of getting some harder to find stuff on tap than at the cellar. The locations are a block apart so it's easy to hit both.

I would guess Coconut Vibes will still be around. It is being released at both locations, which usually means there is plenty. I really enjoyed it.

All those breweries are great, but I'd add Civil Life and the Schlafly Tap Room downtown. Don't miss SP, 2nd Shift is great, and if you like German styles don't miss UCBC. Perennial is great, but it and Narrow Gauge aren't that close to any other breweries.

Looking to trade for a BA Vermilion but the last bottle I had any idea of release info on was BA 17 B1. This doesn't seem like it was quite on the BA Abraxas or Maman level, but what am I looking at here?

Would a Fremont BA combo get things done? Maybe Coffee KDS/KDS/CCbomb for 1?

Separately is there any regular structure for Maman releases? Heard last year's may have had some infection issues. Is there a plan for a 2018 release or does it just hit when it hits? The batch before 2017 might be the best BA stout I've ever had.

Jesus. This place sees less action than Chic-Fil-A on a Sunday. I'm probably going to be in St. Louie for the day on May 10th. I know that's not for a while, but if there are any locals who would want to share some bottles at Side Project, feel free to message me.

Also, Pappy's Smokehouse, Sugarfire, Bogart's Smokehouse, or Adam's Smokehouse? For a BBQ novice like me, I'm sure all will be absolutely amazing with one not much better than the other, but which is your favorite? Also, my wife doesn't eat red meat so what would be the best one for chicken/turkey?

Also, Pappy's Smokehouse, Sugarfire, Bogart's Smokehouse, or Adam's Smokehouse? For a BBQ novice like me, I'm sure all will be absolutely amazing with one not much better than the other, but which is your favorite? Also, my wife doesn't eat red meat so what would be the best one for chicken/turkey?

Can't comment on the chicken/turkey bit, as I would never order them at a bbq place, but Adam's is in a class of its own. Their grilled salami and their burnt ends are both excellent, and the cranberry cayenne bbq sauce they make is the best sauce in town. It also, at least when I was still living in town, doesn't have the absurd lines and waits that are standard at Pappy's and sometimes Bogart's.

None of those places specialize in poultry, but all do a pretty good job. Bogart's and Adam's are actually kind of offshoots of Pappy's. In the same building as Pappy's is a place called Southern, which does great Nashville hot chicken, if that's your thing. I agree on the smoked salami at Adam's, it kicks ass.

Thanks guys. I figured all of these places are awesome, and for someone who really enjoys BBQ food I figure I can't go wrong either way. I came across Salt and Smoke in in my research (people really like their ribs), but I was looking for a stripped down place like the joints I mentioned.

Will probably only be in town for one meal so I'll have to skip the hot chicken at Southern. It's a good thing I'm heading to Nashville after my St. Louis stop though. :)

Is there any good beer in the Columbia area? I've been told to set my expectations extremely low.

Is there any good beer in the Columbia area? I've been told to set my expectations extremely low.
Logboat makes a bunch of solid stuff and the brewery is supposed to be pretty cool. Flat Branch has good food and a nice green chile beer, but outside of that there isn't anything really worth seeking out. For food try Shakespeare's or burgers at Booche's.

Logboat makes a bunch of solid stuff and the brewery is supposed to be pretty cool. Flat Branch has good food and a nice green chile beer, but outside of that there isn't anything really worth seeking out. For food try Shakespeare's or burgers at Booche's.
Thanks for the intel!

Coming down to St. Louis for a week (M-F) in June for a family vacation. Haven't been down since summer of '14. Got a house on AirBnB for cheap in Clifton Heights, so we're little less than a mile from 2nd Shift. Is it cool to bring kids in there if we come right around open and hang for an hour or so? Same question for Side Project Cellar?

What's the BBQ spot of choice these days? I've done Pappy's & Bogart's before. Are there any newcomers that are better? Looks like Adam's and Salt & Smoke should be on my list.

Is Bailey's Range still good for burgers? Anywhere else you'd recommend for that type of food? Heard good things about Mac's Local Eats, so that's on the list.

Coming down to St. Louis for a week (M-F) in June for a family vacation. Haven't been down since summer of '14. Got a house on AirBnB for cheap in Clifton Heights, so we're little less than a mile from 2nd Shift. Is it cool to bring kids in there if we come right around open and hang for an hour or so? Same question for Side Project Cellar?

What's the BBQ spot of choice these days? I've done Pappy's & Bogart's before. Are there any newcomers that are better? Looks like Adam's and Salt & Smoke should be on my list.

Is Bailey's Range still good for burgers? Anywhere else you'd recommend for that type of food? Heard good things about Mac's Local Eats, so that's on the list.

The burgers at Cugino's (which houses Narrow Gauge) were pretty tasty (if not quite as good as the local Chicagoland spots you and me both know).

The answer to all of these questions is yes. Don't pass on Mac's and there's a nice little brewery right around the corner called Heavy Riff. There's really good food at Urban Chestnut right down the street as well.

Kids are fine at 2nd shift, not ideal at side project cellar but still allowed
Go to macs local eats for some smash and grace meat and three, ricks ribs are better than most in the city.

Also Byrd and Barrel ****s pretty hard

Kids are fine at 2nd shift, not ideal at side project cellar but still allowed
Go to macs local eats for some smash and grace meat and three, ricks ribs are better than most in the city.

Also Byrd and Barrel ****s pretty hard

Ben does know his **** for what it's worth.

That almost pains me to say ;)

Come down for lupulin this weekend and pick axe some Busch with me

Unfortunately I've got a tasting with friends on Friday > #notdarklordday with the regular crew on Saturday > Goose Island Dodgeball Tournament / Sunday Funday. I might actually have to be the alternate this year as LT messed up his shoulder last week.

lurchingbeast was talking about a Scratch trip for Memorial Day weekend however if you'll be around...

32313522_10160262029130244_3940609747933200384_n.jpg

<3 you boo

Come down for lupulin this weekend and pick axe some Busch with me

I'm going to Lupulin for the first time this year. It's my bi-yearly reminder why I hate going to festivals, so I have high hopes.

Anyone who has gone before - do they release a beer list or just the breweries attending? Wife is very particular about her beer and it would be nice to see what's what before we get in the carnival.

I'm going to Lupulin for the first time this year. It's my bi-yearly reminder why I hate going to festivals, so I have high hopes.

Anyone who has gone before - do they release a beer list or just the breweries attending? Wife is very particular about her beer and it would be nice to see what's what before we get in the carnival.

They don't usually have a beer list before the fest, but it tends to be very hop heavy. It's not my favorite local fest, but it's new location helps it out a lot.

Latest posts

Back