Ssbrewtech conical fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
So for some reason I don't have permission to post this in the equipment forum. Not sure what's going on. Anyways going to be getting an ssbrewtech conical. Who has one and is the brewmaster edition worth the extra cash? It looks like I can just purchase the cooling coil separate if I ever decide to do lagers.l but I don't have a chiller so don't really require it. My fermenters always ferment in my basement which is a consistent 68F. I guess I just don't see the needs to go to the brewmaster edition unless I'm missing something. Can the standard series still be pressurized to transfer the beer to kegs? Only thing I see I might want on the brewmaster edition that's not on the standard edition is the sample valve. Any input and what you use would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be buying the Brewmaster Edition here in the next few weeks. These are the reasons it's worth the extra money to me:

1. You can do closed, pressurized transfers with the same lid you use with the cooling coil. If you want to do this with the standard edition, you have to remove the flat lid and cooling coil and replace it with the domed lid before you pressurize. To me, this is counter to the reasons I'm doing a closed transfer for in the first place.
2. I want the sampling port
3. The butterfly valves. Much easier to clean thoroughly and be confident in sanitization where it's most important.
4. The 3" TC port in the lid instead of the 1.5" should make it easier to add dry hops.

Also, you should consider that if your basement ambient temp is 68 degrees, your active fermentation temps are probably climbing into the mid 70s which is warmer than optimal for most ale yeasts. So you will probably eventually want to do some sort of temp control anyway and the BME gets you part of the way there for that.

Dan

I have both the brewmaster and standard versions (14 and 5 gal). I ended up upgrading the standard version myself which cost more in the long run. I did not use the cooling coil for the first 6 months. The sample port, butterfly valves and improved lid by themselves were worth it in my opinion.

I have both the brewmaster and standard versions (14 and 5 gal). I ended up upgrading the standard version myself which cost more in the long run. I did not use the cooling coil for the first 6 months. The sample port, butterfly valves and improved lid by themselves were worth it in my opinion.

What is the difference in the butterfly valves to the standard valves. What makes them so much better? The sample port isn't a huge deal as I can get that for $30 and drill the hole. I have a fermentation chamber for it as well so the temp control won't really be needed so I guess trying to figure out if the valves are worth the additional $400.

I bought the standard fermenter. $295. Has the domed lid. Can be pressurized. Haven't done that though, yet. The drawbacks are that it takes a bit longer to clean. I typically have at least 3 weeks between brew days. Plenty of time for me to clean up. It has 2 valves, so you use the bottom one to dump trub, and you can pull a sample with the other valve. Butterfly clamps would be nice. But for now, I love the conical. I have the small one, with leg extensions and casters. I have a cool zone jacket arriving today to help with cooler temps. At 68 degrees in your basement, you're going to want to get temps down a little. I use an stc 1000 controller with a heat belt, and to cool, I wrap a wet towel every 12 hours or so, with a fan plugged into cool side of controller. Amazing how well that works.

I should have added that I don't regret buying standard version.

On a side note, Ss Brewtech has awesome customer service!! I had an issue with the leg extensions. They got back to me right away.

The butterfly valves are much more sanitary and easy to clean. They also have a better feel and look. If you aren't going to ever use the coil, it may be better to get the standard and upgrade the parts you want (I didn't price that out). The 3in opening on the brewmaster lid is a huge bonus too.

Back