SS Vegetable Steamer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenny_d

Reaction score
I am trying to find something cheap and affordable to keep my bag off of the botom of my keggle. Has anyone tried using a stainless steel vegetable steamer? I assume it will work upright or inverted. It wont cover the whole bottom but at least is will cover where the flame is strongest. Thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea, just be careful you don't snag your grain bag on anything.

I know it is a pain, but when I do BIAB I like to pull the grain bag nearly out whenever I am changing temperature, or start somewhat thick and add small amounts of boiling water as I go to maintain heat. But I think your idea will work well for avoiding any scorching.

Seems like a good idea, so long as you don't snag the bag. Another thing to try is stirring while heating. I use paint strainers, and while stirring vigorously during heating, I have never had a melted bag.

I was looking all over for something for my first batch and couldn't find something that I was comfortable using, stainless steel, smooth etc.. Then one night I was looking through our pots for dinner and I found it! A steamer basket from out calphalon bot set that worked perfectly. No sharp edges. It looks like the one in the link below. I don't actually put it in the pot for boil since I have a false bottom, but I do use it to drain the bag. I put it in a 5 gallon bucket upside down and rest / squeeze the bag on it.

Calphalon Pantryware 8 Qt. Multi Pot

Thanks for all the advice! I ended up using the vegetable steamer. It was in the pot from flame on to flame out and worked beautifully.

Latest posts

Back