SS QD vs Camlock (if price doesnt matter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I have been using camlocks on my rig and they have been working fine. I however have a buddy willing to sell me a ton of SS QDs in perfect condition since he switched to all tri-clover. I could basically switch to QDs at the price I could sell the camlocks for (i.e a complete switch for free). If you could switch for free would you or would you rather stick camlocks?

I'd stick with camlocks. Price is the least of the reasons I like camlocks, there are so many other ways camlocks are better in my opinion.

I'd stick with the camlocks, full bore pass through, interchangeable between vendors, and less of a chance of burning your hand during an emergency hose change. I love my camlocks, the only way I'd even think of changing them out is if I went the triclover route.

Just because it's free.......

Well the thought was not to switch cause it would basically be free but if there was a good reason to do so. I have been reading a lot of comparisons and the biggest problem most people seem to have with QDs is the price which would not be a concern for me.

Well the thought was not to switch cause it would basically be free but if there was a good reason to do so. I have been reading a lot of comparisons and the biggest problem most people seem to have with QDs is the price which would not be a concern for me.

The only reason why some people prefer the QD's is because they can (allegedly) be used one-handed whereas camlocks (allegedly) cannot. That's not true, so I see no advantage over the QD's.

If QD's were cheaper I would have still went camlock. I hate QD's in the mechanics side of their use, so I know I would hate them in the brewing world with hot sticky wort getting into all the nooks and crannies.

I'm going to swim against the tide here and say: QDs all day every day.
Can't stand camlocks, fiddly and two handed. I have two breweries, one shared with friends that has camlocks, the other at home with QDs. No question, QDs are easier to use.

Back