SS Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hill Country Brewer

Reaction score
Is is OK to use a 14.5 gallon conical for 5 gallon batches? I'm thinking of getting one while planning for brewing bigger batches in the future, but would it be OK to ferment 5 gallon batches in it until I get to the point of 10 gallon batches which could be a year or so later.

i take it you saw the fermenator for 500 bucks on craigslist too?

i don't see why you wouldn't be able to, but then again, I don't have one nor do I have experience...

That's the one. I'm interested but I don't really want the legs because I want to use it on casters so it really doesn't save that much $$ since a brand new one is only about $50 more without the legs.

The real question for me though is whether all the extra headspace is a problem for 5 gallons of wort in a 14.5 gallon fermenter. Is there anyone that has experience with that? Did you encouter any problems?

I will buy the legs from you after i get one fro christmas. you buy it and i will give you 50 for the legs.

Back