SS Brewtech Brew Bucket Info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchLiebeBier

Reaction score
All, I figured I'd post the info I've figured out here for anyone interested, instead of in the separate forums where I asked the original questions:

1. I ordered the "uxcell Silicone O-Ring, 22mm OD, 16mm ID, 3mm Width, VMQ Seal Rings Gasket, Red, Pack of 10" from Amazon to see if they worked better than the standard O-Rings. I also ordered 16mm stainless washers from Home Depot. I found that on the thermowell, I can put one red O-ring on the inside, the washer and nut on the outside, and get a good seal without scratching the wall. For the valve, I use the red O-Ring on the inside with the nut, the standard on the outside. The washer just BARELY works on the valve, but only with the standard washer. I may try that next time so that when you turn the valve, it doesn't deform the washer. Had no leaks last two brews.

2. The volume markings are not correct on my first BB, so I'm going to re-etch them later. I'll do the second one after I bottle my Hefeweizen. Here's what I found out today after taking accurate measurements: on my BB, there is about 1Qt of water below the pickup tube after it stops draining. So using magnets to mark the water level, I'm going to etch new volume lines. But I'm going to put a water "IN" level and a water "OUT" level. That way I know how much went in on brew day, and I know the max I can get out on bottling day. So, a given line might be 5.25 on the "IN" side, and 5.0 on the "OUT" side, if that makes sense.

This is for the 7 gallon BB.

Hope that helps someone.

Back