Squishing sound from bubbler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ape In A Cape

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,

I am relatively new to homebrewing. I am on my 8th 5 gallon batch. 3 of which were REALLY tasty (all-grain). 7 of the 8 batches fermented in a plastic bucket. The latest batch is fermenting in glass carboy. At day 2 the bubbling was as expected (nice little bubbling rumble), day 3 (today) the bubbler is full of foam and making a regular squishing sound, very similar to opening a twist bottle soda, the foam looks ok but I am worried about contaminants gaining access via foam. The foam is now overflowing and spilling out. Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do to help keep things sanitary and moving along smoothly?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Ape Over And OUT!!

Attachments

• IMG_4982.jpeg
    IMG_4982.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4981.jpeg
    IMG_4981.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 11
1. You are fine. Everything is pushing out right now so no worries about sucking bad things in.
2. You need to use a blowoff at the start of fermentation to prevent that from happening. Usually this is just a sanitized piece of tubing running into a bucket of water (I like star san just in case).
3. Get yourself a 3 piece airlock. They are easier to clean and you don't have to worry about accidentally sucking back in (like what happens if you squeeze a plastic carboy when you pick it up and then "sucks" when you set it back down).
1615441123025.png
1615441144109.png

1. You are fine. Everything is pushing out right now so no worries about sucking bad things in.
2. You need to use a blowoff at the start of fermentation to prevent that from happening. Usually this is just a sanitized piece of tubing running into a bucket of water (I like star san just in case).
3. Get yourself a 3 piece airlock. They are easier to clean and you don't have to worry about accidentally sucking back in (like what happens if you squeeze a plastic carboy when you pick it up and then "sucks" when you set it back down).
View attachment 721810View attachment 721811
So awesome!!!! Thank you very much for the reassurance!!! I will definitely be purchasing a 3-piece airlock. Cheers to the many beers!

You might want to find a cooler spot. Fermentation slows in lower temps. I don't use blowoffs normally, but I ferment on the lower end of the yeasts temp range.
That! ^
Control your ferm temps toward the lower side of a yeasts range, it will make better beer, and blow offs become rare.
Also, fermentations create heat, so it may well be a few degrees higher inside the fermenter than it is on the outside.

Back