Squeezing BIAB vs steeped grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

friartuck

Reaction score
Hello, gang!

I apologize if this has been discussed before.

Why is it accepted to squeeze the grain bag with a BIAB brew, but not when you are steeping grains due to the risk of tannin extraction?

The two processes are very similar, why is the tannin risk only with steeping?

When you BIAB, all the grains are in the mash and that will keep the pH low, plus when mashing the temperature will be cooler than 170 which is the other necessity for extracting tannins. When you steep the grains you don't have enough grains to ensure the pH will be low and some people will steep at higher temperature. I'm not sure that the lack of squeezing will keep you from extracting tannins anyway though.

I give a thorough explanation about how there's no reason not to squeez REGARDLESS of whether it's extract with grains or BIAB, here.

It's one of those things that folks have repeated rote without understanding AND is much more complicated or difficult to do than most new brewers who repeat that "don't squeeze the bag or else you'll extract tannins" nonsense.

I give a thorough explanation about how there's no reason not to squeez REGARDLESS of whether it's extract with grains or BIAB, here.

It's one of those things that folks have repeated rote without understanding AND is much more complicated or difficult to do than most new brewers who repeat that "don't squeeze the bag or else you'll extract tannins" nonsense.

:rockin:

This is great information. Thanks so much.

While I have the smart guys' attention, could any of you give me some input on my other thread over here? :D

Latest posts

Back