Spot the Space Station

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
60 years ago today in 1958, the US entered the space game with Explorer 1, our first satellite. Just a few years later, president Kennedy stated that an American would walk on the moon within the decade, and indeed it happened in '69.

http://www.latimes.com/science/scie...er-1-60th-anniversary-20180131-htmlstory.html

I still remember the Apollo 11 landing, us kids glued to the TV as we watched the fuzzy outlines of Armstrong exiting the LEM. I was 10 years old and the event left a lasting impression on me. It was that cool.

When going through my mom's stuff after she passed away last year, I found a box of my old stuff in her garage, including the local newspaper I had saved from '69. I built a frame for the front page and it's now hanging in my home office.

20180131_223041.jpg

Falcon Heavy today. I got goosebumps. Elon Musk / SpaceX is the man. Follow along with the countdown with the mission timeline I posted below the video.

Bowie and his tesla (and a reference to HGTTG in the car) at 11:00 was very cool. And the gal who is gushing at 12:30 like she just got a backstage pass to a justin timberlake concert was hilarious.

upload_2018-2-6_17-59-54.png

upload_2018-2-6_18-0-32.png

Last edited:
I know I must have heard it or read it somewhere...but apparently Harrison Ford flew in to watch the launch...as it was named in part for the Millennium Falcon. How cool is that?

I know I must have heard it or read it somewhere...but apparently Harrison Ford flew in to watch the launch...as it was named in part for the Millennium Falcon. How cool is that?

If Solo was on the ground then I guess Chewy was in the spaceman suit :) Nobody else can fly that hunk of garbage.

Hahaha. Too funny. I'm having mixed feelings on the Solo movie coming up...they've got so many lined up that I feel like we're about to experience a Star Wars dud at some point. Better not be on Solo's watch!

It was pretty awesome to watch the two booster rockets land at the same time, not sure if the 3rd landed on the barge (video cut out) . Still pretty cool to watch that stuff come back down and land!

It was pretty awesome to watch the two booster rockets land at the same time, not sure if the 3rd landed on the barge (video cut out) . Still pretty cool to watch that stuff come back down and land!
Pretty wild stuff. I just checked, and about 20 minutes ago they announced that it missed the drone ship. Haven't found any video of the miss though...

Side cores landing on the drone ship again at 15:45 in video was equally impressive. Incredible.
Pretty wild stuff. I just checked, and about 20 minutes ago they announced that it missed the drone ship. Haven't found any video of the miss though...

If I was in control I'd cut the public video broadcast if I detected a problem. Super bad PR.

Side cores landing on the drone ship again at 15:45 in video was equally impressive. Incredible.

If I was in control I'd cut the public video broadcast if I detected a problem. Super bad PR.
Musk has made some great videos of failures. It's a part of learning. Even this launch he said there was a high probability of failure. Either way it's going to be a great show :)

From SpaceX.com

Last edited:
Musk has made some great videos of failures. It's a part of learning. Even this launch he said there was a high probability of failure. Either way it's going to be a great show :)

From SpaceX.com

Nice, thanks. I'm guessing there's video of the booster that missed the barge. I'm just suggesting that it would detract from the mission successes if the video feed ended with it. I guess it's possible that the video on the barge coincidentally failed just before the booster crashed, but if you can have all that other video, from the falcon and other boosters, working fine, that's a pretty big coincidence.

Anyway, it was a great day and I swear to gawd my nerd buddy and I are driving across the state to watch the next one.

Yesterday, I thought this was going to be just a stunt. Or the launch was going to blow up on the pad. Now...I'm kind of stoked. Musk might really be on to something. Putting a heavy payload in a cyclic orbit between Earth and Mars will be quite a feat if it continues to work out. Buzz Aldrin developed the idea of a "Mars cycler" that would continuously shuttle crews to and from Mars in roughly 4 year intervals. Looks like this could be a rough approximation of that trajectory.

Long way to go, but nice to see some serious effort to someday get humans to Mars. We haven't had anyone above LEO since '72.

Nice, thanks. I'm guessing there's video of the booster that missed the barge. I'm just suggesting that it would detract from the mission successes if the video feed ended with it. I guess it's possible that the video on the barge coincidentally failed just before the booster crashed, but if you can have all that other video, from the falcon and other boosters, working fine, that's a pretty big coincidence.

Anyway, it was a great day and I swear to gawd my nerd buddy and I are driving across the state to watch the next one.
They do a lot of spy satellites and vehicles. They will cut the videos on them. There was a recent failure of dispatching the Zuma vehicle that failed. Apparently everything went fine with SpaceX. Supposedly Zuma was lost during separation but who knows.....

I just heard that the booster that was supposed to land on the barge ran out of fuel, that's why it missed and splashed down next to the barge. Well, 2 out of 3 isn't bad considering what they are trying to do.

The "out of fuel" thing could explain why they only got one re-entry rocket engine to light (supposedly they use three total) so the center core hit the water around 300mph, incurring some damage to the barge as well...

Cheers!

I still remember the Apollo 11 landing, us kids glued to the TV as we watched the fuzzy outlines of Armstrong exiting the LEM. I was 10 years old and the event left a lasting impression on me. It was that cool.

When going through my mom's stuff after she passed away last year, I found a box of my old stuff in her garage, including the local newspaper I had saved from '69. I built a frame for the front page and it's now hanging in my home office.

View attachment 555987

This is amazing!

I'm just now seeing this thread. My girlfriend works for NASA, so hoping to get to join her for a launch sometime.

Here's a live (?) feed of starman's view from the Teslas driver's seat. Watch for a minute and a familiar planet fills his windshield. The materials that make up the car and starman and all will probably disintegrate in space over the next year due to unmitigated uv rays and space dust and stuff, but for now it's a pretty remarkable image.

52 years ago in 1966, today, the very first landing on another planet was made. For whatever reason, the Russians focused on Venus, and the Venera 3 crashed (it's presumed) into the 2nd planet from the sun.

The US has focused its missions outward from the sun, and even today Mars is the target. (Russia also landed first on mars, in '71, five years ahead of the US).

52 years ago in 1966, today, the very first landing on another planet was made. For whatever reason, the Russians focused on Venus, and the Venera 3 crashed (it's presumed) into the 2nd planet from the sun.

The US has focused its missions outward from the sun, and even today Mars is the target. (Russia also landed first on mars, in '71, five years ahead of the US).

Interesting that the Soviets launched so many probes there. Probably just the usual Soviet oneupsmanship. Venera 13/14 sent back a few fairly hi-res photos, before they lost contact with the probes. Not a very hospitable place. Some cool info and pics from the Venera missions.

Hey that's funny. IIRC, didn't she and the dude in that movie occupy the chinese SS when theirs was disabled or something? I saw the movie twice last year but can't remember exactly.

Without giving away the ending (to Gravity), she and her buddy didn't stay on it.

I think that was the Russian ship, where Clooney's character shows up and has a sip of the vodka stashed on board, before disappearing in her dreams. Tiangong was the one with the decaying orbit that Bullock's character uses to get back to earth.

I loved how she was able to travel from each of those different spacecraft, all in different orbits and altitudes. But a fun movie, nevertheless.

I think that was the Russian ship, where Clooney's character shows up and has a sip of the vodka stashed on board, before disappearing in her dreams. Tiangong was the one with the decaying orbit that Bullock's character uses to get back to earth.

I loved how she was able to travel from each of those different spacecraft, all in different orbits and altitudes. But a fun movie, nevertheless.

Ah, that's right! I was thinking she abandoned SS #2 on some sort of escape pod thing (hollywood always provides an escape pod).

Haha, went outside last night stumbling around after a few beers looking for it. We have a lot of trees that direction but i think i saw it. Neighbors dogs were barking. Anyways thanks for the info.

Haha, went outside last night stumbling around after a few beers looking for it. We have a lot of trees that direction but i think i saw it. Neighbors dogs were barking. Anyways thanks for the info.

I didn't get out. I'm a morning person, not so much the late night stuff. But I'm getting out tonight.

It's been discussed before, but there's some great apps for looking for stars. I use SkyGuide which I think is super-awesome. It uses your camera to let you see map of stars and Vesta and such on top of the real sky. This really lets you find these things. Check it out, it's free.

If you really want to impress the kids there's apps that have a countdown to visible satellites. There's always something flying above and most have a few seconds of visible to non visible. Tell the kids in 3 seconds that something will appear there...and almost like a very small plane it appears and then disappears

Back