spoiled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benny1982

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to tell, when looking at it that beer in the fermenter is spoiled? I moved from primary to secondary and I took a reading out, it tasted fine, but in the secondary it has bubbles w/ white kind of attached to them. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Benny

If it tastes fine then it probably is fine. The little white things could be yeast. RDWHAHB.

Hard to tell from your description. Different grain bills and different yeast strains can cause the fermentation to appear different.

If there is no thin coating covering your wort, I'd say it's just yeast rafts. An infected beer often has this thin pale coating floating on top with maybe a couple of largish bubbles trapped in it. White specks with small bubbles stuck to it sounds like yeast bits to me.

As Arnoldk2 says, give it a taste and see if it's excessively tart or yucky. If you like the taste then all is good. (Because you can't be harmed by anything that might grow in your beer.)

I had the same thing happen on a DIPA recently and thought for sure I had an infection. It ended up tasting great, no problems.

Hard to tell from your description. Different grain bills and different yeast strains can cause the fermentation to appear different.

If there is no thin coating covering your wort, I'd say it's just yeast rafts. An infected beer often has this thin pale coating floating on top with maybe a couple of largish bubbles trapped in it. White specks with small bubbles stuck to it sounds like yeast bits to me.

As Arnoldk2 says, give it a taste and see if it's excessively tart or yucky. If you like the taste then all is good. (Because you can't be harmed by anything that might grow in your beer.)

Thanks,
I'm hoping all is good. I have no film. It looks really good other than what was previously mentioned. And it sounds like it is probably normal.

Thanks,
Benny

When you rack to secondary, especially if you haven't taken a gravity reading to confirm that fermentation is ACTUALLY complete, the act of moving the beer kicks up the yeast, and often you get krauzen or yeast on the surface. Which since most new brewers had their beer in a bucket, and didn't see how ugly fementation is to begin with, then freak out and start "is my beer infected" threads. When their beer is usually perfectly fine.

;)

Back