Spoiled malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamatuna

Reaction score
Hey all

i was just wondering if anyone has ever used uncrushed malt that is over a year old before and had any off flavours and if they could help me out?

Ive recently been brewing with a bag of malt that i got over a year ago, forgot about and then used again. All of the beers made with this beer tend to have this strange aftertaste in the back. It seems to be worse the lower the gravity of the beer and is masked by roasted flavours of stouts?

I used the same yeast and same fermentation for these batches so im thinking that either the malt is bad or my yeast strain has gotten infected......

anyone have a similar story?

Cheers

A year is a long time for it to sit. I would taste some pre-crush and see what you get. I don't know where you live but moisture, mold, pests, etc. can get into the malt if not used quickly. I keep mine in an airtight container. What kind of malt is it? I would bet money on the year old malt than the yeast (unless that's a year old).

i've used old unmilled malt without incident, kept in a fairly cool, dry basement and sealed up.

but I do try to use it within a year of purchase. i agree with just tasting a kernel and judging it.

if anything mash it and make starter wort. can it or freeze it for later use.

Latest posts

Back