splotchy carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmuda44

Reaction score
Sorry if this topic has been discussed, but I honestly couldn't figure out a way to search for it, since I can't fully explain the problem myself.

I am using my father's old kegerator and co2 tank but with a new regulator (co2 tank is old, just went out of date in fact and the old faucet, shank etc.). All of my beers that I have served so far, seem to be ok as far foaming with the balanced system, etc. but after the glass sits for a couple of minutes and the foam dissipates, the head that is left seems almost splotchy looking. Has anyone else ever seen this, have any clue what I am talking about, and hopefully figured out what the problem is.

I have to believe that it's either a problem with the CO2 tank, even though I've had it refilled a couple of times, it's still old or a problem with the way I am brewing because I've used my picnic tap instead of the faucet on the kegerator and same problem.

thanks for any advice.

I few of my extract batches had odd carbonation. Like once the foam dissipated, the head was comprised of 2 different types of bubbles, some big and some small. Generally the batches also tasted a little off too, but I could never quite place it.

I've actually never naturally carbed or bottled any of my beers so my only experience in drinking my home brew is through the force carbing with the CO2, so I can't really say I've noticed any off flavors, but I have no real comparison other than drinking the uncarbed beer from the secondary. Not really a major problem other than it looks funny, but it looks funny enough that I actually had someone ask me about it.

Pictures please!

you know, i was thinking that when i was leaving my original post, but unfortunately, i can't take any pictures now because that old co2 tank that i was talking about is out and i need to take it to airgas to see if they will exchange with me w/out charging me the recertification fee, so I haven't drank homebrew for about a week.

As soon as I get it going again, I will bump the thread for anyone curious with pictures.

Resurrection!!!!

I don't know how to describe it but the OP here seems to have the same thing going on as me. After the head dissipates I've got what looks like curdled milk floating on the top. Beer tastes great but I'd just like to know what causes it.

Back