Splitting the Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kozwald

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I pulled a boner move this afternoon. I got to my LHBS to pick up supplies for a new recipe and noticed that I forgot to scale it down from 6 gallons to 5. I went ahead and bought all the supplies anyway.
I usually make 5.5 gallons batches but my brew pot is only 4.5 gallons.
My question is can I collect enough wort for a 6 gallon batch (7.5 gallons to boil) and split the wort between 2 pots. One pot would simply boil to sterilize and the second pot would have all the hop additions. Once cooled down I would use the non-hoped wort to top off my fermenter.

Is this possible????

No problem hop utilization will not be as good but will work fine !
You need to watch Don O. On YouTube he does that all the time I think due to his kettle size check him out.

Interesting video. Still not sure if I'm just going to collect enough wort for the 4.5 gallon boil and then top off with cold water or collect extra wort and top off.

Monday is the big day. I'll update after the deed is done.

I personally think , the extra wort would great. Being you grain bill is for six gallons you won't be deluding. But I'm not sure but if you only plan on collecting 4.5 gal. You might be leaving sweet wort behind ... Hurting efficiency. I've had one or two :) so I may be on the wrong page ....just remember either way it will turn out just fine !!!

Have one for Me !!

I used to boil every batch on the stove and because of low burner power used three pots splitting hops amongst them. Made some delicious beer. An extra gallon or two in a different pot unhopped shouldn't be a problem, though you'd get higher bitterness slightly. If that matters to you, you could try to compensate in brewing software, just take out the fermentables (points) that would be in the extra pot to calculate IBUs, I think. Sort of like late extract addition brewing. I bet it's not very different, though. I'd probably just go by the recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back