splitting secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhinoceroceros

Reaction score
I don't normally do a secondary fermentation but I recently brewed an imperial stout and would like to let it sit a few months before bottling. I would also like to add a little something (oak, vanilla, coffee) to add a little depth. I am considering splitting the secondary into 4 or 5 separate fermentations and adding something different to each. I assume I will need to have airlocks on all of the secondaries, but before I go buy them I thought I'd poll the experts. Also suggestions for other flavors to add are appreciated

If you're going to move them off the yeast cake and let them age, then yes you would need a carboy with an air lock or a keg or some other sealed vessel for each different treatment to minimize oxygen exposure over time.

I was planning on waiting about 2 weeks before transferring, but in the interest of minimizing oxygenation, perhaps transferring sooner would be a good idea?

move it to secondary (or bottle/keg) any time after primary fermentation is complete

and splitting them up to give them different treatments is an AWESOME idea

Back