Splitting a batch IPA/BIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooby_Brew

Reaction score
My plan is to attempt to brew a 10 gal split batch IPA / Belgian IPA. The recipe for the IPA is quite simple, "classic" IPA with some 2-row, light crystal and CaraPils, and a bunch of American hops. The difference is that I'm going to split the batch into 2 fermentors and the "AIPA" side will get the WLP051 California V yeast and the "Belgian IPA" will get some light Belgian candi syrup (made it myself) and the WLP550 Belgian Ale yeast.
Later on in upcoming weeks I want to do similar split batches of Black IPA / Belgian Black IPA and Stout / Belgian Stout.
Have anybody done similar things already? What kind of dangers if any are awaiting me in these batches?

I just did a split batch of APA/BPA... turned out great. Grain bill was pretty simple...something like:

American 2-row 51%
Belgian Pils 51%
Light Munich 4%
C40 4%

Simcoe/Cascade/Citra

American got US-05 and dryhopped with citra, Belgian got 3522 and no dryhop.

First I want to do a split batch IPA/BIPA, then American Stout / Belgian Stout, and last Black IPA / Belgian Black IPA. Each time the "Belgian" side gets WLP550 + invert sugar syrup, other then that, the rest of the recipe stays the same.

Latest posts

Back