Split batch of YB's Melange, Farmhouse Sour and Saison Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Melange is holding steady at 1.010. PH has dropped a bit since I last looked in on it. It's now at 3.63. Brilliant clarity and a really solid beer. It's is screaming to be racked onto some apricots or peaches. Or maybe it will get integrated into my Solera somehow.

Farmhouse sour was racked onto rhubarb and apricots back in May. Then put it in a keg in August and carbed it. I bottled it in October. It's a crowd favorite and the tartness married so well with the rhubarb. I'm now conviced that if you want strawberry character in a beer, use rhubarb. It holds up well and really comes through as a noticeable flavor (and you don't need a ridiculous amount).
It will be judged this weekend in a big comp around here. We'll see how it does. It's kind of hit or miss with sours in homebrew competition. That's my experience anyway. Oh well, we loved it and I thank Nick for that awesome blend. Keep em coming dude!

Farmhouse sour was racked onto rhubarb and apricots back in May. Then put it in a keg in August and carbed it. I bottled it in October. It's a crowd favorite and the tartness married so well with the rhubarb. I'm now conviced that if you want strawberry character in a beer, use rhubarb. It holds up well and really comes through as a noticeable flavor (and you don't need a ridiculous amount).
It will be judged this weekend in a big comp around here. We'll see how it does. It's kind of hit or miss with sours in homebrew competition. That's my experience anyway. Oh well, we loved it and I thank Nick for that awesome blend. Keep em coming dude!

Glad to hear the cultures are working out for you! I agree on the rhubarb, good strawberry character. If you want to maximize the strawberry, you should give the Lochristi Blend a shot!

I did a saison with the Saison Brett blend a little over a month ago. For any of you that used it, how long before you bottled? I haven't checked the gravity yet, as I was going to give it at least two months before worrying about it at all. I know that it doesn't follow a clock and it'll be done when its done, but I'm just curious.

I guess my main question is does a Brett+Sacc blend for primary behave more like a Brett primary where it will finish out in a shorter time period, or more like a mixed fermentation? I haven't done much by way of Brett+Sacc brews (mainly doing all long-term mixed fermentation), so this is kind of new world to me.

I did a saison with the Saison Brett blend a little over a month ago. For any of you that used it, how long before you bottled? I haven't checked the gravity yet, as I was going to give it at least two months before worrying about it at all. I know that it doesn't follow a clock and it'll be done when its done, but I'm just curious.

I guess my main question is does a Brett+Sacc blend for primary behave more like a Brett primary where it will finish out in a shorter time period, or more like a mixed fermentation? I haven't done much by way of Brett+Sacc brews (mainly doing all long-term mixed fermentation), so this is kind of new world to me.
Huh? You are doing a "mixed" fermentation in either case. Pitching them together should get it to hit its ultimate FG and develop brett character a bit quicker, but its not going to be ready as fast as an all brett or all sacch fermentation

That answers my question, thanks. I worded that wrong, as both are obviously mixed fermentation. I was more wondering about the differences between finishing times for Brett+Sacc+Bug blends vs just Brett+Sacc blends, when it comes to hitting FG quicker compared to other mixed fermentation containing bugs.

Back