Split Batch Conundrum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheZymurgist

Reaction score
Is pedio limited by hops the same way lacto is? I'm asking because I'd like to do a split batch of a Doppelbock recipe, lager half as usual, and do a mixed fermentation with the other half, but I won't add any LAB if there's no point. I'd like to get some sourness out of it, but could always blend in a portion of sour wort if I needed to.

My last batch was sort of a Belgian Dubbel base, hopped to about 15 IBU, and half was fermented with the Saison Blend from The Yeast Bay, and the other half with Melange, a mix of sacch, brett, and LAB. The saison portion is absolutely fabulous, but I haven't tasted the Melange yet, it's still sitting in primary.

Yeah, I agree sweetcell. Both the Sparrow Wild Brews book and the Tonsmeire American Sour Beers book say pedio is more hop tolerant than lacto. I don't have much personal experience to confirm or deny this but everything I've heard says you're good to go.

Excellent! I thought I had read it somewhere, but was having trouble finding it. Thanks guys! I think this will be fun. Now, to figure out what strains to use...

I think there are some commercial sours with up to 30 IBUs. Probably varies from strain to strain.

Latest posts

Back