Split batch (3 ways) to test hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural320

Reaction score
I got a nice variety of IPA hops from my last YVH order, and I am having a hard time getting the "goodness" out of them that other people describe. In particular, I am annoyed that I am getting subdued flavor and aroma from: Mosaic, Denali, and El Dorado.

I've tried a few combos pairing them with each other, and things like Citra, Amarillo, Cascade and the like. Now I am not just throwing them in willy nilly and all together, just simply not getting the notes I was hoping for.

So here is my plan...I've got (3) 1 gallon carboys, and for the sake of brew time, I wanted to make 1 base beer with some neutral/play nice with others hops and then just dry hop each carboy with one of the aforementioned hops.

I'm thinking a low-mid gravity wort (1.045~) made of primarily pale malt or pilsner, and maybe a dash of Munich or Vienna to just add another little layer to the base beer. Some Columbus to bitter to around 20 IBU, then I was thinking some Willamette around 15 minutes to get another 5 IBU and play supporting cast to the 0.75 oz 4-5 day dry hop charge. I've got a big ol' mason jar of London Ale III that I will ferment at like 64 degrees for this test too. I haven't bottled in years, but I can sack it up for 3 gallons!

Y'all think I will get the results I am looking for here? That being a better expression of each of those three hops in this type of beer

I was getting on here to post a very similar post. I’m thinking about bittering a pale ale with just Chinook. Then split into 3 one gallon carboys. Dry hopping with - Cascade, Citra and Centennial.

Thoughts?

I think you are on to something there as well. I say go for it and let's give this thread some nice impressions on our (now) 6 beers!

Back