Split bag or order extra dry/liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithchar526

Reaction score
I am working on getting my stuff set back up since I stopped brewing many years ago

Currently for fermenting I am going to be using 5gal corny kegs. So if I do a 5 gallon batch I will need to split it between 2 kegs for the headspace.

For yeast should I buy an extra pack of dry yeast so each keg get a full pack or can I split a single pack between both kegs. Same question for liquid yeast unless I do a large starter which I’m currently not planning on messing with starts just yet. I’m thinking I should do a full pack for each keg.

Split the pack, no need to buy two. And do a starter for the liquid yeast and split that.
But...under the same circumstances I would definitely design my recipes for a 4 or 4.5 gallon batch size and simplify the process...

Cheers!

Thanks. Yeah I was thinking about doing 4 gallon batches but until I learn more in general I was planning on buying kits for a little bit and then move into buying bulk grain and following recipes online and most kits are 5 gallon. Have a hard time just not using a gallon which leads to the splitting. Guess I have to think about what I want to do. Maybe I’ll just follow recipes online.

Fermenting in kegs offers process possibilities not possible with buckets (like spunding).
I can see it, though the volume constraint would be a bit of a pita...

Cheers!

I brew half size batches so I'm always splitting a packet of dry yeast. I estimate where half would be, dump that into the fermenter, then fold the top of the packet over and secure it with a clothes pin and refrigerate it for the next batch. I've kept some for months that way and it always starts the next batch just fine.

I brew half size batches so I'm always splitting a packet of dry yeast. I estimate where half would be, dump that into the fermenter, then fold the top of the packet over and secure it with a clothes pin and refrigerate it for the next batch. I've kept some for months that way and it always starts the next batch just fine.

Good to hear. Thanks

Why not ferment in 6.5 gallon buckets? Due to space restrictions?

Mostly just a preference. I like doing closed transfers and prefer stainless steel. I keg every thing and transferring to serving keg or secondary without exposing to air is nice, plus it’s easier and don’t have to mess with a siphon

Fermenting in kegs offers process possibilities not possible with buckets (like spunding).
I can see it, though the volume constraint would be a bit of a pita...

Cheers!

Yeah there are a number of reason why I prefer closed transfer using co2. It might not be that bad to use 2 kegs for this but it is an extra item to clean so may end up getting the anvil ss bucket so I only have 1 fermenter and 1 to clean and no splitting. Or might just go with 4 gallon batches until I can afford the right size ss fermenter.

Latest posts

Back