Spinning Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlowboyBrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I would like to get opinions on an idea. I was thinking about converting a commercial salad spinner to a grain-spinner in order to increase efficiency. My efficiency is fine but I picked the salad spinner up for free and I thought it might be a cool application for it. Anyways, do you think it would cause any tannin issues? Do any other issues spring to mind?

Thanks for your input!

No. Make a commerical-sized salad, but leave your grains in your tun. Tannin extraction has more to do with pH I believe so it probably wouldn't be a problem there.
But jeez, you want to add a crazy step to your brewing to save a few cents on grain?
You asked for opinions, and mine is I think it's nuts. :mug:

No. Make a commerical-sized salad, but leave your grains in your tun. Tannin extraction has more to do with pH I believe so it probably wouldn't be a problem there.
But jeez, you want to add a crazy step to your brewing to save a few cents on grain?
You asked for opinions, and mine is I think it's nuts. :mug:

and mine is I think it's nuts. :mug: too

How are you going to convert it, exactly? I think you're going to get more extraction at the expense of a cloudier wort, possibly with more tannins.

Don't see the point if you already get good efficiency. You might be able to use it to wet the grains prior to crushing. Really helps with the crush!

I'm thinking about my salad spinner and I'm not convinced you could get a good "lauter" through the slots... they're pretty big. I think you'd definitely get some more wort out of there (of course, how much for the effort?) but you'd also spin a bunch of grain pieces and husks out.

And for a 10# mash, you'd probably have to spin it at least 5 times.

Latest posts

Back