Spike... I need a conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it really has little to do with it being made here or overseas. It all comes down to features. I didn't want weldless fittings and like the top design of the spike conical. I also got tired of waiting and ordered a 14 gallon brewtech.

I don't think spike will give out updates anymore. I've asked in the past and gotten told 60 days or a month but now it's they don't have a release date. It's a smarter business move than to keep giving dates and missing them.

Last I heard they had sent a unit out to get a pressure rating (if this thing can hold 15psi or more, I don't know another conical near this price with it's potential) and after that were going to run a burst testing. I think these tests take longer to get results than anyone would hope for (it's been about 4 weeks since it went out for testing). I'll happily wait a few more months rather than drop nearly twice the money on a pressure rated conical (assuming testing goes well) or compromising on my wish list for such a major purchase.

They have been out of just about everything for a long time. I am wondering if this company is still in business? I was looking at a 30 gallon kettle waiting and hoping they would have one in stock by now but I wonder if I am waiting in vain. Might just have to look at the BrewBuilt kettle again. I like the SS BrewTechs BME line but they only go to 20 gallon.

They have been out of just about everything for a long time. I am wondering if this company is still in business? I was looking at a 30 gallon kettle waiting and hoping they would have one in stock by now but I wonder if I am waiting in vain. Might just have to look at the BrewBuilt kettle again. I like the SS BrewTechs BME line but they only go to 20 gallon.

Quite the opposite! Sorry about the stock out issues. The demand of our larger tanks from home brewers and breweries has been much higher than we forecasted for. We should be fully stocked up on tanks come July.

Also conical announcement coming very soon....

FYI

It looks like they have a hard "very limited" presale date of 6/26. I assume this is for people that signed up for the notifications on this product early on. Then open it up to general public ~2 weeks after

FYI

It looks like they have a hard "very limited" presale date of 6/26. I assume this is for people that signed up for the notifications on this product early on. Then open it up to general public ~2 weeks after

Yes for the 10 gallon conical. They sent the email last night

FYI

Shhhhhhhh! :)

YES SHHHHHH!

Doesnt matter only us special ppl will get the pre-production release...
dr-evil-and-his-minions-muahahahaha.jpg

I was one of the testers for their pre production units and I can confidently tell you....it's worth the wait and you won't be disappointed.

The units are built really well. Every port is welded, the 4 inch TC at the top is great for dry hopping (without having to remove the conical lid), the 1.5 inch TC next to the 4" on the lid is awesome to have to use as a dedicated blow off or use it to pressure transfer.

The lid clamp holds the lid on securely and allows pressure transfers, its like a giant TC clamp. I'll let Spike comment on the pressure specs on the unit as they changed the seal and lid clamps during the testing so I'm not sure what the max pressure can be used.

I also had their chilling coil that mounted in the 4 inch TC port. The chilling coil reaches all the way to the bottom to reliably temp control 5 gallons up to 10 gallons (I was testing their 14 gallon unit). Other 14 gallon conicals I had, the coil was short and was only partially submerged if I made a 5 gal batch.

They put a lot of thought into the unit and you can tell.

Even though the unit I had was a pre-production unit, the fit and finish on it was great and the 2inch (NOT 1.5inch) butterfly valve on the Trub dump was great as well. The full size sample valve that comes with the unit is the same exact sample valves used on pro full size conicals.

Question for you on the coil... Did you just keep an ice-bath of water and pump that through it on controller?

They started this endeavor when I was in search of one too. Would've gladly given them my money but they took too long. So now I'm loyal to another brand

Not sure what their criteria for the pre sale was, maybe previous customers that signed up for notifications.. either way im pretty excited for them to come out.. don't know if ill buy one in the pre sale or not, I would much prefer a larger one but im dying to get one of their conicals..

I used that tab...have not seen a single email...presale notice or anything concerning an update. When I bought my kettles from them, I was eyeballing the conical and I chose to be emailed when items are available...still not a peep from them, other than getting updated by other sources at the homebrew con...

I used that tab...have not seen a single email...presale notice or anything concerning an update. When I bought my kettles from them, I was eyeballing the conical and I chose to be emailed when items are available...still not a peep from them, other than getting updated by other sources at the homebrew con...
WTF Ive been on this since day one, no email

Please shoot customer support an email ([email protected]) and we can figure out what happened. Sorry for the trouble!

They started this endeavor when I was in search of one too. Would've gladly given them my money but they took too long. So now I'm loyal to another brand

We'll win you back ;)

Well, nuts. I was signed up,a long ways back, as well. Nothing here.

What's the final verdict on the pressure rating of the conical?

Could you PM us your email so we can see what's going on? If you signed up on the right side it should have added you to the queue. They are rated at 5psi currently.

Me too, and I've purchased 2 customized kettles from them.. Maybe I needed to buy 3...oh well.

I still hope to get one or tow of these someday but for now going in a different direction and going to try the fermentasaurus. seems to be able to do the same thing, and is rated to 34 psi so can be used as a unitank. Its certainly not as shiny but for now it will have to do as it will be about a quarter the cost. Hoping next year to be rocking a couple spike conicals though they look awesome.

Has anyone heard anything about them eventually releasing a neoprene or similar jacket and a heater? Setting up my glycol and would rather not have a condensate puddle under my conical when cold crashing. I saw a mention of a temp control solution in the future but nothing specific.

I've heard that and nothing more. You could always shoot them an email and ask. They may not be able to get too deep into it but whats the worst that can happen?

Has anyone heard anything about them eventually releasing a neoprene or similar jacket and a heater? Setting up my glycol and would rather not have a condensate puddle under my conical when cold crashing. I saw a mention of a temp control solution in the future but nothing specific.

What I'm going to do is get their immersible coil and hook up a small marine pump in a 2 gal water bath in my refrigerator. The pump will be hooked up to my extra temp controller with the (temporarily) thermoprobe taped to the outside of the conical. I'll keep the dial thermometer in to verify that temperature set is the temperature desired. It will pump the water only when it goes above the set point on the controller.

my total investment into that will be likely only $20 total. I imagine you could do the same with an Inkbird or any other controller.

I got on right away and I never even saw it show available... No idea whats up

No it was. i was on at 9:01 and it was available and in my cart. Literally went to go put my CC information in and it said out of stock.... Legit Pissed... I blame my wife. She hid my wallet on me. It's almost like she has a 6th or 7th sense when she can feel a disturbance in the force. She knows when I'm going to spend money.

Back