Spike Brewing CF5 for 2.5g Batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgaepi

Brewer In Need Of Guidance
Reaction score
Anyone have direct experience using the Spike Brewing CF5 for half batches? 2.5g or 3g batches? I only want to use it for this and am looking for real work experience. Specs say it can be used for 2.5g but is that just fluff? Please let me know. Considering as an option.

I never win anything so obviously winning it won't come true.

Thanks.

I brew only 2.5gal batches and looked into this too. I’ll be interested in what others might say. I love all the features and actually went round and round. But in the end I’ve decided to buy a couple 5gal corny kegs and ferment in those. I currently ferment in the Ss BrewTech mini brew buckets. I like them but they have their limitations. I think the kegs will be a great choice for me.

I brew only 2.5gal batches and looked into this too. I’ll be interested in what others might say. I love all the features and actually went round and round. But in the end I’ve decided to buy a couple 5gal corny kegs and ferment in those. I currently ferment in the Ss BrewTech mini brew buckets. I like them but they have their limitations. I think the kegs will be a great choice for me.

I brew the same way. 2 SS mini buckets. And then keg in torpedo kegs. But I dream of tri clamps and trub dumps.

I have a CF5 that I use for both 5gal and 2.5gal batches. The main reason I bought my Spike was to efficiently be able to do a half batch. I was able to track the below image down from the Spike website. This is what sold me. The temp coil goes damn near the bottom!

The only issue you may have is using the temp control with it. I forget the exact placement but the temp probe may be above 2.5 gallons. (And once you dump trub, level will drop even more).

I have a cf5 and a cf10, and found this to be an issue in the cf10... with a 5.5 gallon batch. Just missed the temp probe.

Reviving a dead thread... macebrew - did you ever pull the trigger on the cf5? I'm in the same situation and wondering if temp control is useless with the temp probe placement being too high.

Yea. I have both the cf5 and cf10. The temp probe is same situation. I recommend doing full 5 gallon batches. You could get away with 3.5 or 4.... but I don’t see the benefit. Ingredient cost isn’t that much more from 3.5 to 5 gallons. If you can’t drink it all —- give it away or dump it. But for the time it takes to brew - I’d stick with 5 gallons.

When I wanted to ferment half-batches I added a long thermowell to a TC port on top of my conical. Now I can sense temps down into the cone. The Inkbird sensor go to the bottom of the thermowell, and I put the mechanical thermometer back in the thermometer port on front of the conical.

Yea. I have both the cf5 and cf10. The temp probe is same situation. I recommend doing full 5 gallon batches. You could get away with 3.5 or 4.... but I don’t see the benefit. Ingredient cost isn’t that much more from 3.5 to 5 gallons. If you can’t drink it all —- give it away or dump it. But for the time it takes to brew - I’d stick with 5 gallons.

I'd brew 5 gallons if I could. I currently brew on the zymatic, so 3.5 gallons is about the max I can brew.

When I wanted to ferment half-batches I added a long thermowell to a TC port on top of my conical. Now I can sense temps down into the cone. The Inkbird sensor go to the bottom of the thermowell, and I put the mechanical thermometer back in the thermometer port on front of the conical.

You could also use the stock probe location and make a longer probe with a bend in it so it gets down deeper into the fermenter.

Thanks for this info. Trying to get my head around this... My plan was to use the 4" port for the Temp control coil and the 1.5" port for the Gas Manifold. Are you using the temp coil, if so where do you put the thermowell? Seems like I'd need one more port in order to have the TC coil, gas manifold, and thermowell.

Thanks for this info. Trying to get my head around this... My plan was to use the 4" port for the Temp control coil and the 1.5" port for the Gas Manifold. Are you using the temp coil, if so where do you put the thermowell? Seems like I'd need one more port in order to have the TC coil, gas manifold, and thermowell.

You can use a "T" to expand the use of the port. Install it on end, with the thermowell on top and the manifold on the side.
https://www.brewershardware.com/1_5-Tri-Clover-Clamp-Instrument-Tee-TC15TEE-SL.html?category_id=328

You would have to make it yourself or have someone make it. There seems to be at least a few companies who custom make parts these days.

Last edited:
Back