Spicy Taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelshults

Reaction score
I tasted my latest batch last night and it has a spicy flavor, almost like a Sam Adams Winter Lager. I don't have the recipe at hand but it was supposed to be a very light colored, dry ale (using liquid extract, steeped specialty grains, and some adjunct rice). This is my 4th brew and the first one lighter than an Amber Ale. The yeast I used was the White Labs American Ale Blend (the first time I've used a liquid yeast).

It has been in the bottle for about 10 days (I know it needs to go a little longer, but I just wanted to make sure it was carbing and to see how it was doing so far). My question is, will this spicy flavor dissipate over time or should I expect it to stick around?

P.S. I've been lurking on this site for a couple of months now and love all of the great information you guys share. I couldn't wait any longer and had to create an account. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give.

Always good to see a fellow Alabama brewer. First is there a chance there was any rye in your specialty grains? If not I would just say its a young beer and the yeast haven't finished cleaning up their by products and such. If it is carbing properly let it sit until it has been in the bottle for at least 3 weeks and try it again.

No, there wasn't any rye.

I'll give it another week before I taste another. That patience thing has to be the hardest part of homebrewing.

Thanks for the help.

@BierMuncher - The kind of spice flavor you find in some Holiday/Winter beers. But I didn't use any of those spices. This is supposed to be a light, dry beer. (Not necessarily a BMC clone, but something boring for the friends and family members that don't like the dark and flavorful beers that I usually go for.)

@BierMuncher - The kind of spice flavor you find in some Holiday/Winter beers. But I didn't use any of those spices. This is supposed to be a light, dry beer. (Not necessarily a BMC clone, but something boring for the friends and family members that don't like the dark and flavorful beers that I usually go for.)

The only time I've gotten those anise or...black licorice spice flavors is when my yeast has gone rogue on me. Unfortunately for me...the off flavor never faded but got worse and eventually took a cidery turn.

Not suggesting that's your problem...but it sounds familiar.

Doesn't the White Labs American Ale Blend have a some of the Cali Common yeast in it? That could be where you're getting the spicy note.

I tasted another one last night (2 weeks since bottling) and the spicy taste is still there but it doesn't seem quite as much like the holiday spice that it had last week. I was hoping it would be ready by Thursday for my dad and brother to enjoy while I am back home for Christmas, but at this rate, I don't think so.

@mixedbrewer: I didn't scorch the wort.

As a matter of fact, I think I was more careful with this batch than I have been with any of the others. Followed the directions exactly, used my new immersion chiller to get the hot wort cooled down in about 15 minutes, fermentation temps were between 62 and 67 the whole time. The only thing that might have been an issue was the amount of time I gave it in primary. The instructions said primary for 7-10 days and then bottle. I bottled at day 11, but I usually give my beers at least 2.5 weeks in primary (with no secondary) before I bottle. Could the shorter primary have given the yeast less time to clean up and resulted in this spicyness?

Thanks for all of the feedback. I still think this is going to be a drinkable beer, just not really what I was shooting for.

the first thing that comes to mind is: what temperature did you ferment at and how many days did fermentation last? the "bananas and cloves" taste that yeast makes at higher temperatures may be to blame.

secondly, if you beer is only 10 days in the bottle, then i would expect there to be an apple cider taste from the bottling sugar. is that the taste?

I'm betting it's that yeast blend. You know how California Commons have that little, spicy yeast bite in the finish? I'll bet that's what he's tasting.

It's now been about 2 1/2 weeks since I bottled and the Spicy taste has mellowed a lot. It's still there somewhat but I think that it is just the flavor of the yeast. It was a very light and dry beer, so I think the flavor of the yeast is just really showing through. It is a pretty good beer, but I don't think I would make the exact recipe again.

If I were to make something that was sort of in the style of a light lager without using lager yeast, what type of yeast would you guys recommend? Again, this really isn't my style of beer, I'm just thinking about keeping some in the pipeline for friends and family that like the lighter styles. What is an ale yeast that is really neutral and doesn't leave a lot of flavor behind?

Thanks.

Back