Spices in a Hop Rocket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperpots_Brewing

Reaction score
Okay, I just bought a Blichmann Hop Rocket to use as both a hopback and a randal. That being said, the first brew I plan to use it with is a holiday ale. My thought is to use the spices (vanilla bean, cinnamon sticks, coriander, etc.) in the hop rocket along with an ounce of whole leaf hops to act as a fine filter, for the most part, I'm planning on using whole spices wherever I can, with the exception of nutmeg, cloves and allspice. I'm hoping that the leaf hops hold most of that stuff behind, if not, it's no big deal.
Has anyone experimented with using spices in a hop back as we'll? I've been searching for over an hour and can't find anything. I know southern tier uses hopbacks in their brewing process, and I'm assuming that is how they get such a pungent smell in their IPAs, Pumking and Creme Brûlée, so that is why I'm thinking of this.
If any of you guys have experience with this, or suggestions, that would be fantastic!

Back