Spiced winter ale question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman551

Reaction score
Quick question everybody,
I brewed northern brewers spiced winter ale for my wife tonight, but forgot to put the spices in at flameout, so I stirred it in the fermenting bucket before I pitched my yeast. The wort was cool or cold when I tossed it in. Will I still be able to taste the spice in the finished brew? Shouldn't it still be present, much like dry hopping? If not, I definitely won't tell her, and I just brewed a plain Scottish Ale. Thoughts? Anyone else commit such a bonehead error?

Oh I'm sure it's been done before. Not by me but a friend of mine, y'know. I suppose there's a slight chance of infection from pitching spices while the wort isn't at least at pasteurization temps, but now that it's done I would just see what happens honestly. You will certainly get some spice character from tossing them in cold, but having some in the boil or flameout is nice too.

If everything seems right in a couple of weeks you could also boil a small spice tea with your priming sugar if you're bottling, or naturally carbonating a keg. Or if you decide you like it as is, just package and enjoy as it is! :mug:

You'll definitely get something "dry spicing" – I've done it, and am planning on doing it again this year, it definitely works. Probably less intense, and a different flavor/aroma profile, than if you'd dumped 'em in hot – different compounds volatilizing at different rates at different temperatures and whatnot. You'll probably have some issue with the CO2 from fermentation stripping some of the flavor and aroma, but, probably not all? Haven't ever tried that. It may turn out subtle, but I doubt it'll come out like a plain old scotch ale.

Another thing I've tried, which works pretty well, is making heavily spice-infused vodka, then adding it to taste at bottling time. It takes about a week to get a good, strong infusion, so, if your first gravity sample is way too bland, you won't lose too many days whipping something up and bottling a week later. Word to the wise, though, the warm, flat sample should be on the mellow side, as the carbonation will bring the aromas and flavors out, making something that tasted just right on bottling day completely over the top once it's carbed.

Thanks for the suggestions from both of you. It is bubbling along now, and everything looks normal. It does smell a little like the spice, but mostly like ale. I'll keep you posted on its progress in a few weeks. To redeem myself, tonight I brewed NB's Kama Citra, and the house smelled fantastic. You know you had enough hops when the rinse water from your hydrometer had a slight green tint to it.

Could you make a spiced vodka by steeping the spices in the alcohol and then add it to the keg to taste?

If you could do that, could you also make a non spiced winter warmer, like Sam Smiths for example, and then add the spiced vodka to a growler or two, drinking the rest of the beer as brewed?

I brewed that kit last year and added crushed corriander and orange peel to secondary and it was great. In fact, I brewed that beer again this year and on bottling day I sampled some from this year's batch, which I brewed simply by following the directions - no added corriander to secondary or orange peel. The sample on bottling day was not as good as the one where I added spice to secondary, so your batch might turn out really tasty :)

Update: I bottled the spiced ale about a week and a half ago, and as usual, I couldn't wait for the two week carbonation period, not out of anticipation, but need. I ran out of beer. After a week in the bottle, it had good carbonation, a good brown ale flavor, and nice subtle hints of spice. My wife, who I brewed it for in the first place, could taste the spice, and likes the beer. All in all, I consider that a success. Should be tasty by Christmas Eve. Cheers!

I brewed this too, I like it but do not love it. Most visitors that sample it say they like it. I does taste like Christmas!

Could you make a spiced vodka by steeping the spices in the alcohol and then add it to the keg to taste?

I wound up doing the above just to try it. It worked out great. I made a spiced vodka with the spices that I would have added to the boil, and I brewed the ale to compliment them. When I want the spiced beer, I simply add the vodka to taste, and I have been pouring growlers of the spiced beer.

Once the very small amount of the spiced vodka is mixed into solution, the finished product is very similar to, if not the same as, a spiced brew from tap or bottle.

When I don't want the spices, I just pull a pint of ale.

This one turned out to be really popular, and the keg kicked last night. I was happy that everyone liked it, and a little sad when it ran dry. lol

This brew actually turned out to be very similar to OHB's Christmas Ale, an old favorite of ours.

Back