spiced apple cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scurvymeat

Reaction score
I have never made a cider or cyber before.
I made a spiced cider and added honey and am wondering how long I should let it ferment. A friend mentioned that if I leave it too long the fresh apples could taste horrible. Saying that basically the flavor may ferment out and I would be left with spiced hooch cyser. any validity to this?

I'm not sure about the differences in sugars between honey and apples, so I don't know if one type will ferment faster than the other. If you let it ferment completely (to SG 1.000 or less), it means all the sugars will have been consumed,and you won't have any sweetness left.

If you want appley sweetness, consider adding apple juice or apple juice concentrate in secondary. When I make cyser, that's also when I add the honey.

Thanks for the advice. Thinking I will do as you suggested and add the apple.juice/pressed apple into.secondary.
It was my first cyber attempt. Hopefully the honey addition in primary won't be too bad.
How long do you allow secondary to run?

How long depends on how sweet you want it (and, of course, on the yeast you're using and the temperature). I'd plan to take a hydrometer reading (if you have one) and a little taste every couple of days.

I purchased one for this batch, and promptly broke it. :)
I will get another one.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate the info.

Back