Spice quantities in low grav beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuphish

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the process of putting together a low gravity Tafelbier which will have a SG of around 1.020. I would like to use some lemon zest and grains of paradise. Typically, I would use .75oz. lemon zest and 2g grains of paradise in a 5 gallon batch of regular gravity (1.050 or so) beer. Since this 5 gal batch will have a SG of about 1.020, should the quantities be reduced? I guess I'm wondering if the lighter body and palate will let the spices come through more prominently, perhaps too much so. :drunk:

Thank in advance for any input!

The lemon zest probably won't be as much of a worry as the Grains of pradise. 1.020 is reeeeealy low alc. And I'm guessing the beer is very delicate so be really careful. You might want to aim for the lesser on this batch and add mroe in another abtch or in the secondary if you feel it is needed.

Going to go google Tafelbier now so I know wtf you are making. :)

BTW, what is the rest of the recipe??

Tafelbier is basically a low gravity beer (1-4% abv) beer to be consumed with meals or in a setting where you want to drink a few beers without getting buzzed/drunk.

Recipe is as follows (it is a work in progress, so comments are welcome):

1.50 lbs (39.47%) Pale 2 row
1.50 lbs (39.47%) White Wheat Malt
0.50 lbs (13.16%) Flaked Wheat
0.25 lbs (6.58%) Crystal 40
0.05 lbs (1.32%) Chocolate (for color)
0.50 oz. Saaz (4%) 60 minutes
0.13 oz. Saaz (4%) 15 minutes
0.13 oz. Saaz (4%) 2 minutes
0.37 oz. Lemon Zest 5 minutes
1.00 gm. Grains of Paradise 5 minutes
Wyeast Belgian Ardennes #3522

OG est: 1.020
FG est: 1.005
Est abv: 1.91
Est color: 5.7 SRM
IBU: 9.9

Since this is a really low gravity beer, I want to try to keep the body as full as possible, so I thought I would mash on the high side, around 156-158. Thoughts?

Back