Spent grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zamo27

Reaction score
What can be done with the spent grain after brewing??
Sometimes I go two beaches of beer in one day different grain bills but similar
Can they be used to do a low alcohol everyday drinking beer
Seems like a waste that all

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Nothing in line with a mildly alcoholic beverage? Tastey and simple

Spent Grain -> Compost -> Homegrown Hops -> More Homebrew

Cheers.

Nothing in line with a mildly alcoholic beverage? Tastey and simple

Technically you can do a parti-gayle when you're brewing:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Parti-gyle

But after the fact, you'll want to use the grains, if wet, pretty soon after brew day. You can dry them out and make flour...there's a recipe or a few around here for pretzels, bread, dog treats, etc. I make dog treats if the mash has no chocolate/cocoa or some hops and then give the rest to a friend for his compost. I made the mistake of dumping a pile in my backyard on my bern...in the summer. It was horrible. Eventually the smell went dormant but every so often on a super hot day I wonder if the stank I smell is the grain I dumped. I vowed to never tell my neighbors the smelly air they're smelling was my doing. :D

Looking to do a small beer no time fur anythig else
Just wondering if I could mix the grain from two beers and maybe add some sugar to get the SG right that's all

Looking to do a small beer no time fur anythig else
Just wondering if I could mix the grain from two beers and maybe add some sugar to get the SG right that's all

You can sometimes make a small beer from the "spent" grain IF you have made huge beer and have not already thoroughly sparge "rinsed" the grain. Typically the spent grain is SPENT, meaning that there remains very little useful sugars, and the effort to capture and boil down is not worth the effort and energy / propane, hence why the best use for spent grain is to feed to chickens or pigs.

Yes, you can also use it to supplement flour to bake bread in small amounts...

But most often, spent grain is best for compost or animal feed, and not beermaking.

Every once in a while I will keep a lbs or so and put a cup in with some home made bread, comes out like a multi grain bread so to speak. I have even put the remainder in the freezer to use later.
Other than that, it goes in the trash.

You can mix it with flour to make biscuit dough too. Just dry it out in 200F oven for a couple hours. Then I grind it into flour in my Mr coffee burr grinder. With the grain from two batches, you might get it boiled down to a gallon's worth of small beer. If the grains haven't soured already.

Back