Spelt Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nofootbreak

Reaction score
Berliner Weisse - Berliner Weisse (17A)
Brewer Nobody
Date 02/07/2012
Batch Size 6.474 gal Boil Size 7.724 gal
Boil Time 30.000 min Efficiency 62%
OG 1.032 FG 1.008
ABV 3.1% Bitterness 6.2 IBU (Rager)
Color 3.1 srm (Morey) Calories (per 12 oz.) 106

Fermentables

Total grain: 9.500 lb
Name Amount

Pilsner (2 Row) Ger 5.500 lb
Spelt Malt 3.500 lb
Rice Hulls Adjunct 4.000 oz
Acid Malt 4.000 oz

Hops

Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Hallertau 4.2% 0.750 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 6.2

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Wyeast - Lactobacillus Ale
Wyeast - 1007 German Ale
White labs 653 - Brettanomyces Lambicus

I decided to do a berliner weisse, but having used spelt malt in a few of my saisons and enjoying the character, substituted that in place of the white wheat. Spelt malt is also relatively expensive at my HBS so I decreased my original plan of 50% to ~38% for this trial.

1) Made a 1.5L starter of dme at about 1.035 and pitched wyeast 5335 at 90F and held at that temperature on a heating pad.

- Took about 72 hours to see activity.

2)Brewed on 3/29
Mashed for 90 minutes at 150f and boiled for 30 minutes vigorously. Chilled to 110f and racked into a co2 purged carboy with a hose attached to my spigot, racking cane and inserted through an orange carboy cap to attempt to minimize oxygen contact with the wort.

3) Pitchted the lacto starter. Starter tasted tart, and seems promising.

4) Activity began while out of town either saturday night, or sunday morning. Came home to a vigorous fermentation and had to rig up a blow off tube. Best temperature reading I can gather reads 96F during fermentation. Same heating pad is being used on low setting for carboy.

5) Sampled on 4-05-2013 gravity was at 1.008 and only mildly tart. Not nearly what I was hoping for at this point. Will let it go until 4-07-2013 and sample again. Beer is sitting at 85f at this point.

I will keep updating as the beer progresses, but the plan is to taste it around day 6 and see how tart it is. I will then pitch a large starter of 1007 to finish the beer once at a sour enough level, and package with white labs brett lambicus.

Reviving zombie thread -- how did this ever turn out, nofootbreak? I'm thinking of replacing wheat with spelt in a berliner weisse myself, curious if anything about it clashes, or if it's simply not noticeable (such that it's not worth the cost).

Last edited:
Back