Speise priming - weird coagulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H.Stiglitz

Reaction score
So, I've been krausening my beers with decent success lately. However, I decided to try speise priming on my last brew to stop using so much DME.

My process: Collected ~2L post boil wort for my 5g batch. Put collected wort in the freezer until ready to keg.

Here's where at gets interesting. (Full disclosure it's a spiced pumpkin porter). I thawed the starter wort and proceeded to boil for 15 minutes adding 2tbsp of spices and vanilla bean scrappings. Well, I noticed that the wort developed a weird slimy coagulated like jelly particles (forgot to take a pic). Kind of like when you let that Thanksgiving gravy get cold and congeal.

The keg has hit desired psi so Im not worried about it carbing, just curious why it reacted that way and if anyone else has seen that before.

I thought it might have been the spices, but that's seems unlikely. I'm thinking it has something to do with an additional hot break and double boiling of the wort. Anyone doing speise seen this?

Also thought about possible infection but I froze the starter wort immediately and it looked fine when I boiled it so I doubt it. Plus, I sipped some of it without any GI consequences.

Back