Spectrum hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HT Shen

Reaction score
Hi Folk

Anyone use the Spectrum hops before?
I am thinking about adding the Spectrum in my dry hopping processes for west coast IPA. However, I did have some questions.

1. Does Spectrum can be used for the dip hopping processes? The major reason why I consider it is because I used the dip hopping and will leave the hop in the fermentation keg quite a long time (due to some limitation, I need to leave the hop in the fermentation keg around 12 days) So, I think the Spectrum can help for this process to make the flavor better because stay the hop in the beer so long

2. I am thinking about replacing all of the dry hops with Spectrum.
Is it ok? or it needs to use combinate with the T90.

3. For my current dry hop process, I use 56g Amarillo and 56g
Centennial. Is it ok to use 20g Spectrum to replace them?
Which hop of Spectrum suggest to use? That's because the spectrum hop is limited. I am thinking about to use Cascade.

Cheers and Thanks for your help!

Hi Folk

Anyone use the Spectrum hops before?
I am thinking about adding the Spectrum in my dry hopping processes for west coast IPA. However, I did have some questions.

1. Does Spectrum can be used for the dip hopping processes? The major reason why I consider it is because I used the dip hopping and will leave the hop in the fermentation keg quite a long time (due to some limitation, I need to leave the hop in the fermentation keg around 12 days) So, I think the Spectrum can help for this process to make the flavor better because stay the hop in the beer so long

2. I am thinking about replacing all of the dry hops with Spectrum.
Is it ok? or it needs to use combinate with the T90.

3. For my current dry hop process, I use 56g Amarillo and 56g
Centennial. Is it ok to use 20g Spectrum to replace them?
Which hop of Spectrum suggest to use? That's because the spectrum hop is limited. I am thinking about to use Cascade.

Cheers and Thanks for your help!
This is a good resource for how to manage spectrum.
https://yakimavalleyhops.com/products/spectrum

I used it with a hazy ipa and the convenience is great, but it did have drawbacks in my view. It definitely darkened the beer more than just adding pellet hops, which probably doesn’t matter much in a west coast ipa, but it is a factor for some. You should not replace dry hops with 100% spectrum per the directions of it’s the first time you’ve used it, but that is just a warning. So maybe it is okay but beware before diving fully in. The link will get into further detail. One 20g packet in a 5 gallon batch will result in too much hop flavor, at least to me. Again, the link and subsequent links on that page get into the specifics of what to do and not to do.

As for dip hopping, it might be better to use incognito for this. Spectrum says not to be used >70C. It can impart harsh flavors at an elevated temperature. It’s intended for cold side hopping. I added the spectrum after a day or two after starting fermentation. The flavor was very strong hops, but too strong for my tastes. I won’t use it again for a NEIPA due to the increased color it imparts, like I mentioned maybe it would go well with a west coast ipa.

I've used Spectrum a few times.

The biggest issue I have with it is that it's pretty hard to get properly dissolved into your beer. It definitely adds a lot of hop pop, but will also coat your fermenter in sticky, oily mess that takes a fair bit of effort to remove.

I would advise against replacing all of your DH with Spectrum. Generally they advise a roughly 50/50 split, so in your case (assuming a 4oz DH) you would probably want an ounce each of Amarillo and Centennial, and probably (for a 20Lish batch) around 7-8ml dosing.

This is a good resource for how to manage spectrum.
https://yakimavalleyhops.com/products/spectrum

I used it with a hazy ipa and the convenience is great, but it did have drawbacks in my view. It definitely darkened the beer more than just adding pellet hops, which probably doesn’t matter much in a west coast ipa, but it is a factor for some. You should not replace dry hops with 100% spectrum per the directions of it’s the first time you’ve used it, but that is just a warning. So maybe it is okay but beware before diving fully in. The link will get into further detail. One 20g packet in a 5 gallon batch will result in too much hop flavor, at least to me. Again, the link and subsequent links on that page get into the specifics of what to do and not to do.

As for dip hopping, it might be better to use incognito for this. Spectrum says not to be used >70C. It can impart harsh flavors at an elevated temperature. It’s intended for cold side hopping. I added the spectrum after a day or two after starting fermentation. The flavor was very strong hops, but too strong for my tastes. I won’t use it again for a NEIPA due to the increased color it imparts, like I mentioned maybe it would go well with a west coast ipa.
Thanks for the useful information. I didn't notice that the spectrum cannot used over 70 degree C.
In this way, I am thinking about two different processes which used two different hop extract.
Please help to review, and let me know which process looks better for you.

Current processes
1. Whirlpool 112g T90 hops
2. Dip hopping 164g T90 hops in 6 liters 80 degree C wort

Potential improved process #1
1. Whirlpool 112g T90 hopes
2. Dip hopping 16g Incognito and 82g T90 hops in 4 liters 80 degree C wort

Potential improved process #2
2. Dip hopping 82g T90 hops in 4 liters 80 degree C wort
3. When the wort cooling down, transfer the wort from the kettle, and added spectrum

Potential improved process #3
2. Dip hopping 16g Incognito in 2 liters 80 degree C wort
3. Dry hopping 82g T90 hops 3 days before package

Footnote
I am doing the dip hopping for West Coast IPA for a while.
For my current processes, my T90 dip hopping hops will stay in the fermentation around 12 days.
(Due to some limitation)
That's why I am thinking to improve it, and consider to use hop extract for this processes.

So, the main purpose for my consider this product in the dip hopping process is that I don't need to use that much T90 pellet to boot up the flavor, and might be caused less grass flavor due to leave the hops in the fermentation that long.

Last edited:
I've used Spectrum a few times.

The biggest issue I have with it is that it's pretty hard to get properly dissolved into your beer. It definitely adds a lot of hop pop, but will also coat your fermenter in sticky, oily mess that takes a fair bit of effort to remove.

I would advise against replacing all of your DH with Spectrum. Generally they advise a roughly 50/50 split, so in your case (assuming a 4oz DH) you would probably want an ounce each of Amarillo and Centennial, and probably (for a 20Lish batch) around 7-8ml dosing.
Well noted that information ! I will do that as per what you suggestion.
Does it easy to clean when using the PBW simply?

I am thinking about three different processes to use two different hop extract.
Please help to review, and let me know which process looks better for you.

Current processes
1. Whirlpool 112g T90 hops
2. Dip hopping 164g T90 hops in 6 liters 80 degree C wort

Potential improved process #1
2. Dip hopping 16g Incognito and 82g T90 hops in 4 liters 80 degree C wort

Potential improved process #2
2. Dip hopping 82g T90 hops in 4 liters 80 degree C wort
3. When the wort cooling down, transfer the wort from the kettle, and added spectrum

Potential improved process #3
2. Dip hopping 16g Incognito in 2 liters 80 degree C wort
3. Dry hopping 82g T90 hops 3 days before package

Last edited:
Back