Sparge or no sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it's about 5 to 10% more sugars and it means I can mash with a little less water so I don't overflow the pot when I stir the grains in.

Ok, few more questions...lol.

Beersmith is telling me pre-boil volume of 2.3 gal. Does that make sense?

Also I have 2 options for a brew kettle. I have a 9 quart or a 32 quart. Will I get more efficiency with the bigger kettle since it will give more space between the grains? It makes sense in my head anyway.

Thank you for your help.

Beersmith is telling me pre-boil volume of 2.3 gal. Does that make sense?

Also I have 2 options for a brew kettle. I have a 9 quart or a 32 quart. Will I get more efficiency with the bigger kettle since it will give more space between the grains? It makes sense in my head anyway.

Thank you for your help.

It depends on how big a batch you are making and your grain bill. If you are making a 2 gallon batch and are really careful with the heat so you barely keep a rolling boil, maybe you could have a pre-boil of 2.3 gallons. If its a 1 gallon batch, sure. Typically you would expect to boil off between 3/4 and 2 gallons during the hour long boil that you need.

When I make a 5 gallon batch I like to use my 30 quart kettle since it's the biggest I have and I can make nearly the full volume mash in it. Your 32 would give you a little more room so it wouldn't spill over as easily and you wouldn't be as likely to boil over at hot break.

For BIAB you could do a slow "pour-over" sparge. A gallon or so is all you need--deduct this from your normal mash volume and have it heated to around 170F in another pot. After the sacc rest, lift up the grain bag and set it in a colander sitting atop the kettle. Scoop up some sparge water in a pyrex measuring cup and slowly pour it over the grains, moving it around to cover as much area as possible. This may take several minutes--no hurry here. Let it drain and give the bag a gentle squeeze. You can squeak out a little more efficiency this way.

Its a 1 gallon batch. What about using the bigger pot?

A 4 quart batch in a 32 quart kettle seems excessive to me...I would use the 9 quart kettle and just be careful and watch for boilovers, perhaps try fermcapS if you like...

A 9 quart kettle should be able to handle a 1 gallon batch...worst case you could top up the kettle during the boil with additional runnings.

I just did a 1 gallon biab over the weekend. I used a 12 qt kettle. It was a good size. At no point did I think I should have used a bigger kettle...but I'm not sure I could have done it in a 9 qt... Maybe, but it'd be tight.

WaltG said:

If you do indeed have a 2.3 gal preboil volume, as mentioned above, you'll need the bigger pot... As 9 qt is only 2.25 gal, right? And you'll definitely need it for the mash, as you'll have to start with more than that to account for grain absorption (although you could mash with less, then dunk sparge in a new pot... Though you'd still need a bigger pot to combine the two worts for the boil).

My only options are a 9 qt or 32 qt pot. Tested the boil off rate on my 32qt at about 0.8 gal/hr so biab calc is saying 3.1 gal with just over 2 1/2lb of grain.

My only options are a 9 qt or 32 qt pot. Tested the boil off rate on my 32qt at about 0.8 gal/hr so biab calc is saying 3.1 gal with just over 2 1/2lb of grain.

With all due respect, I think you are being led astray by Beersmith or another "calculator", and are making this much much more difficult than need be...It's not that hard at all as you will realize after you have done it.

With 3.1 gallons total water, you will lose about .25 gallons to grain absorption, and .8 gallons to evaporation leaving you with about 2 gallons of wort, for a 1 gallon batch :drunk:

Perhaps you have losses entered into the calculator...IDK, but I don't believe the numbers!

As said above, I would simply mash in your 9 qt pot with 7.5 quarts resulting in 2.07 gallons of mash (8 quarts), you will lose approx .25 gal (1 quart) to grain absorption leaving you with 6.5 quarts preboil, I would sparge a quart through the bag giving you 7.5 quarts preboil, then boil down to 5 quarts for your 1 gallon batch, guessing about a quart loss to trub etc.

The issue here is that your boiloff is very high, and your batch size is very small, so just do your best to finish your boil close to 4.5 to 5 quarts, add top up water either during the boil or at the end as needed to make batch size if you have trouble.

Back