Spare parts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerNsteadofH2O

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I always have hated being at the mercy. Of "Murphys law"
Weather it's with my boat,fishing gear, vehicles or other toys and hobbies, which brings me to the title of this thread.
I keep an assortment of seals, "O" rings, hoses and clamps to cover most emergency that can derail a brew day, I also keep spare pumps that I use, spare controllers for my Grainfather and Brewzilla as well as sensors, and spare Inkbird controler, I've got spare buckets, coolers and even spare botteling wands and air stones/pumps..

I keep A 5lb bag of DME, some assorted hops and "common " yeast packets on hand..

I'm sure I'm not the only one to think like this just curious what you guys might keep on hand to "keep the chains moving"

I keep a large selection of spares on hand. I usually keep the important stuff like gaskets, hose, clamps and hose fittings close at hand when brewing.

I bought a Stanley organizer for the smaller items. Stuff like hose I have a small tote. I never considered pumps to keep a stock of, but do have two so I guess I do have spare.

As far as ingredients I have more grain than I need. I'm trying to slim that stock and just buy what I need for brew day. Dry yeast I keep lots of and DME.

I have redundancy up the wazoo, mainly because I've upgraded gear over the years and never bothered to get rid of the old ones. When I croak, my wife's going to have one hell of a garage sale. ;)

2 bottle cappers (imagine having your only capper fail mid-bottling)
2 hydrometers
Extra batteries for thermometers
Plenty of plastic tubing, clamps, etc.
Extra packets of dry yeast in case of stuck fermentations
Numerous kettles, BIABs
Parts drawers filled with fittings, o-rings, airlock parts, etc.
Gamma seal buckets with all sorts of grain

just curious what you guys might keep on hand to "keep the chains moving"
A pair of small jewelry scales (50g/0.001g) - one in the "brew day" box and other in the "bottling day" box. Each gets used (at least) once a month and calibrated (using mini-cupcake liners of a known weight). Redundancy + convenience + a little extra "hobby money".

Extra batteries for ...
:yes::yes::yes: ... the jewelry scales, the smoke detectors, the TheroPen, the wireless mouse for work, the pH Meter, the CO2 detectors, the ChefAlarm, ...

pro tip: remember to change those AA / AAA batteries periodically (once a year?). I have lost some digital weather therometers / remotes to battery corrosion - the devices ran fine for years until ...

2 bottle cappers (imagine having your only capper fail mid-bottling)
I did imagine that a number of years ago; bought a spare capper and it's still in the original packaging 🤞.

Last edited:

pro tip: remember to change those AA / AAA batteries periodically (once a year?). I have lost some digital weather therometers / remotes to battery corrosion - the devices ran fine for years until ...

I've stopped buying Duracell batteries because I've had so many of those leak. I used to think they were a good brand.

Latest posts

Back