Souring A Stout with Beer Fermented with Wine Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDawgMaui

Reaction score
So I have some beer fermented with wine yeast unprimed and it has a nice dry sourness to it.
I wanted to sour a stout with it any ideas on how much to use for a 5 gallon batch.
I was going to give it a boil it and add it to the secondary for a week.
Let me know.
Thanks everyone

I just want the sourness not to add the live wine yeast do you think it will work.
or should I add it live.
Thanks COLO

Yep, I just for the first time read about this practice. You can sour it and then boil and add I guess. I would scale it down and do a taste test. Maybe nine parts beer and one part soured stuff. If that works that would equal a half gallon for a five gallon batch right? Or you could just add a bit at a time, let it mix in, taste and add more.

OK, I'm a little slow.You're adding the soured beer to the stout, this is called blending. I would wait till both beers are fermented out and then do as inhousebrew suggests. Unless you wanted a "traditional" soured stout, then I would not boil the sour, however this takes a long time as the bugs that soured the first beer would still be working on the stout for months. You'd have to bottle in champagne bottles or bottles made for sours or keg, It will still be months though.

So I did not boil it I piched about a half gallon in to the stout.
Kegged it and let it sit for a week chilled it overnight and forced CO2.
It came out great not to bitter real smooth and refreshing the keg is half gone after a week.
Dirnk up!!!

I'm told this is what Guinness does, I think it's about 1% sour.

EDIT: Found it...

Q: Someone told me that Guinness intentionally added sour Guinness to their beers. Is that true?

A: Yes, part of the process is to blend in some specially soured Guinness. The following was extracted from the Homebrew Digest. I believe the original author was Martin Lodahl, but I may be mistaken: "...they have a series of huge oaken tuns dating back to the days before Arthur Guinness bought the brewery, which they still use as fermentors for a fraction of the beer. The tuns have an endemic population of Brettanomyces, lactic acid bacteria and Lord knows what else, and beer fermented in it sours emphatically. They pasteurize this and blend small quantities of it with beer fermented in more modern vessels."

Guess I got here too late to contribute; nice that the results were good. What I would have contributed is this: Guiness adds 3% double strength wort that was soured with lactobacillus and then pasteurized. I tried this with excellent results for a design I came up with that I call Zeer Bruine Oude. It's a very dark oud bruin fermented with Edinburgh yeast and dosed with soured beer.

Back