Sourcing Ball Lock QD Bearings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadius856

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did the same stupid thing probably everyone else here has done at least once.

Pulled the collar on my ball lock QD the wrong direction. The spring and ball bearings went flying.

Where can I buy replacements ball bearings? The QD is otherwise fine, and I've done this several times, so I'd rather not have to eat $6 for a new one each time.

Is there a brand name on the QD? Perhaps you can measure the ball. I don't think there is bearings in there. Probably just a housing for the ball. Did you find all of the balls. Perhaps post a picture here.

They come apart? Can't help you on the bearings....but I've never had one come apart in close to 5 years------knocks on wood-----

Edit: Guess it happens more than I thought.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/replacing-ball-bearings-corny-disconnect-432955/

Lucky man. My brew assistant is very good at doing it. Just gotta push the release ring the opposite direction and "BOOM".

Is there a brand name on the QD? Perhaps you can measure the ball. I don't think there is bearings in there. Probably just a housing for the ball. Did you find all of the balls. Perhaps post a picture here.

Almost all QDs in the US are CMB brand. There are certainly bearings in there. That's why they're called ball locks. And they're readily visible from underneath.

carb-keg-525.jpg

Found all the bearing this time. Not so lucky other times. There's several lurking beneath my refrigerator, stove, etc. Would love to buy a 100-bag or somesuch.

Bearing #1:
...Measure #1 - 0.157"
...Measure #2 - 0.157"
...Measure #3 - 0.157"

Bearing #2:
...Measure #1 - 0.1575"
...Measure #2 - 0.1575"
...Measure #3 - 0.1575"

Bearing #3:
...Measure #1 - 0.1575"
...Measure #2 - 0.157"
...Measure #3 - 0.1575"

0.157" just happens to be 4mm, so these are 4mm bearings. 0.1563" is 5/32", so I'd imagine they'll work fine as well.

Can't find individual bearings on McMaster Carr, only assemblies. Not interested in pulling apart assemblies and harvesting ball bearings.

Found them on eBay in Stainless, 100 pack for $5 shipped. Your choice of 302 alloy or 420 alloy. There's also chromed steel, ceramic, and silicon nitrite, but I question the safety of chrome in low pH fluids and the necessity of ceramic.

Either the chromium (302) or molybdenum (420) would be good choices.
If this is really a chronic problem for you ;) I'd go with the 302 just 'cuz chromium stainless is a fairly well known beast and frankly I know crap about Molybdenum...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back