sour of the day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grod1

Reaction score
So im stuck dog sitting a pup for the day. I figure, I might as well pull of at least a 3 gallon batch if im not planing on leaving.
I only brew sours.
I was thinking 100% vienna?But my mind started to drift.
Then i figured 60% vienna 30% 2-row and 10% white wheat.
But i want to keep it simple i could do 50/50 vienna 2 row ratio with bavarian wheat dme at 5-10%
Basically im open to what ever but i was leaning toward a vienna heavy brew.I just felt like seeing if anyone had any input.
edit
----------------------
so this is what i decided on

7.4 lb American - Vienna -55% of the recipe (all i had)
4.5 lb American - Pale 2-Row
8.5 oz Flaked Corn
8.5 oz Flaked Wheat
9 oz Dry Malt Extract - Wheat
13.33 lb Total
Hops
0.25 oz Santiam 50 min 9.45
0.25 oz Santiam 5 min 1.98
edit
-----------------

So i brought 5.5 gallons up to 158. by the time i got it all in the mashtun and stirred around my temp was down to 150.While that might be great for some people that is to low for my needs.Anyone have any tips on what i should do to get longer chain enzymes in there now or is it to late.I was thinking throw in some fruit to give the bugs something extra to munch on but i really dont want fruit in this beer.Maybe extra yeast nutrient.I hardly even us the stuff. i have something called yeastex.
also im doing this super lazy so im probably going to have at least a 2-3 hour mash so this wort will be extremely fermentable.
what about adding something like vegetable glycerin so that way only the brett or some bacteria can eat it.

edit
-------
While smoking a bowl at the beginning of boil I decided to add some of my fresh garden herbs to this beer. @ 10 mins a hefty amount of lemon balm/east indian lemon grass and lemon verbena was added.
them lemon smell was almost overpowering so i gave it another half oz styrian golding at flame out.
all wrapped up chilling my wort now. It was nice to have people to talk to about beer threw out the day.cheers.
my final gravity is super high 1.080
it got a pint of roselaire blend+ dregs off an old cake and a packet of Saisonsteins monster
i decided to call it Lemon Vienna no lemon

Back