Sour Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I haven't been able to get to the LHBS lately....... about 100 miles from home, so I decided to make a sour mash using what I have on hand. I'm using 2 row, wheat, and rye. The mash was made up yesterday using BIAB, and allowed to cool over night. This AM I tossed a cup of 2 row into the wort, and spread saran wrap over it to seal out the air. Target OG was 1.062...... As I haven't diluted to the amount of wort I designed for yet, I don't know where I actually hit.

I'm tentatively shooting at 15.5 IBUs (approx), using Mosaic hops. (.25 oz 20 min, .25 oz dry hop) This wort will probably sour for about 3 days, and I'm not sure how much IBU I really should have. Any experienced thoughts on that? Sour and bitter don't necessarily work well together.

I obviously have several days to make a decision. I have the following hops on hand:
Mosaic, calypso, magnum, motueka, simco, cascade, and Nelson Sauvin. I chose the mosaic mainly because I have half a package.......... I'd rather use that than open something. I also have an open package of Nelson, and of Magnum.

The fun of brewing as far as I'm concerned is to make something tasty and interesting from what I have on hand. I now have a BC Barley Crusher (a great mill..... extremely well thought out and well made), and am getting my two row for $30 for a 50 pound bag, so I can keep my costs down. The ingredients I keep on hand in fair quantity are CR60 and CaraPils. *For the summer, I will probably lay in some adjunct grains.... corn, wheat, and rice in various forms.

H.W.

My sour mash has been bubbling away for 48 hours now at temps varying from the 60's to the high 80's I just tested the wort a few minutes ago, and it has a clean mildly lacto sourness developing as it should. It's still a long way from what I want, and I'm expecting another 48 hours will be required to achieve anything like the sourness I want.

Cascade is the current tentative choice for hops.... for 2.5 gallons, a quarter ounce for 30 minutes, another quarter at 5 minutes, and perhaps dry hop.... IBU comes out about 13. I'd love to have a counterflow chiller, hopback, and pump..........but I don't yet.

Any suggestions on hops and suitable IBUs appreciated....

H.W.

Oops....... I should have jacked up the gravity in my recipe. 3 days of souring resulted in a drop of .020 in my OG from what the projected OG should have been.

I did my boil this AM, and now have it chilled and in the fermenter and yeast pitched. I decided to go with the Mosaic hops as per my original plan. I had a half an ounce in an open package (zip lock back in the freezer). Put the whole half ounce in at 10 minutes from the end of the boil (2.5 gallons). I added honey ( approx 1/2 C) during the boil to bring the gravity back up to what I had planned. I also added about half a teaspoon of salt to "tame" the sourness. I should end up around 5% ABV. 16.5 IBU SRM 4.3

It's early to draw conclusions, but this I suspect is going to be quite sour. Presently it's just mildly tangy with a yoghurty tang....... a really nice flavor.......but obviously quite sweet at this point. Clearly I need to shoot 20 points above the target OG, though I suspect from the taste of the wort that the honey will compliment the flavor. The small amount of salt "rounded" the flavor........ perhaps a mistake, but at the time, it seemed to be the thing to do.

H.W.

I'd love to have some -04 or 1338, but I pitched the top crop from my last brew which was a copitch of USA-05 (75%) and Lallemand 71B-1122. The combination attenuates about the same as -05 alone, but the 71B provides some interesting flavors. I've top cropped and reused this combo on 4 brews now and am happy with it. Next time, I'll get some really low attenuating yeast for some residual sweetness.

As usual, I used what I had on hand. The only other options I had on hand were a few fresh packets of -05, and lallemand Belle Saison.

H.W.

Hows the fermentation going?

This long ago stopped fermentation, and I have the combined batch in a 5 gallon brew bucket aging a bit. I'm shortly going to bottle some. With my limited supply of bottles (I use EZ caps ONLY), it's difficult to find capacity for it. Time seems to be mellowing it.

H.W.

Ahh , my mistake , I was thinking that "aging" was still a part of fermentation, although not too much going on in the way of yeast fermenting things i guess.

Anyways, Im curious to see how much sourness you get in the final product.

Ahh , my mistake , I was thinking that "aging" was still a part of fermentation, although not too much going on in the way of yeast fermenting things i guess.

Anyways, Im curious to see how much sourness you get in the final product.

I've got my bottle supply filled mostly at the moment. I use ONLY flip top EZ Cap bottles, so I'm a bit slow to buy more. I have 3 other brews in the works at the moment, one in cold crash, one in secondary, and two in primary, so I'm going to have to bottle the sour a bit at a time as the opportunity arises. I just pulled a gallon off to cold crash and bottle. I should have it bottled in about 3 days, and ready to try in 10 days. Added into the mix is the fact that I've made a personal decision to cut back on my alcohol consumption significantly. Down to a max of one beer a day..... or less. Thus my brewing is greatly reduced from a 2.5 gallon batch each week to a 2.5 gallon batch every two weeks. The whole program is changing.

H.W.

Latest posts

Back