sour cherry wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiBrewshed

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried doing a sour cherry wheat? I've got a cherry wheat going in the secondary, and two delicous bottles of Russian river sours. I figure I could dump in the dregs and let it sit for a while but I'm not sold on it yet because I'm out of hb at the moment. Any insight or recipes would be great!

As long as the IBU are low, you should be fine. Hops and sour bugs don't mix well.

With the dregs of two bottles, you are probably lucky if you get two gallons of workable beer. Find yourself a couple 1 gallon jugs and transfer the beer to those. Leave about 1/2" at the bottom of your RR bottles, then swirl them to resuspend the yeast. Hit the mouth of the bottle with a lighter for a few seconds to sanitize, then pitch the dregs of one bottle into each of the gallon jugs.

Depending on your FG, you may not get much sourness. You can fix this by adding an ounce or two of maltodextrin. Also be prepared to ride this out a long time. I have a gallon of a brown ale with Kriek dregs that's about 10 months old. It's had a pellicle for a while, but is finally starting to come around to being sour. I probably won't bottle it until around Christmastime.

Thanks a bunch, I was worried about not having enough dregs. The 1 gallon Idea sounds like a good approach. Do you think I can use these as a "dregs starter" and then repitch to my Carboy?

I've read that you can. In fact, I plan on taking the dregs from my sour brown and using that to make 5 gallons of a lambic.

Good luck, it seems like these bugs really take their sweet time. I might hold off on this one for now . But there's going to be a sour beer in my near future, that's for sure!

Back