Sour Cherries in SoCal or online?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0110x011

Reaction score
I have a sour beer that is ready to be fruited, and I'd like to use sour cherries. Unfortunately, all I can find locally (so far) is bing or other sweet varieties. Does anybody in SoCal know here I can find some? If not, is there a reputable source on the internet that anybody has used?

Tart cherries are usually the first cherries of the season, so you're probably out of luck at this time of year. They were in season here in Virginia early this year, and were gone by mid-June.

There is a sour cherry concentrate and syrup available in middle eastern stores around the area. I have never used it in beer but I have thought it would be a nice addition to a fruit beer.

You can get dried sour cherries in the area, although I do not know where exactly. I had a friend pick some up for me a while back at what I assume was some kind of Chinese market, although I could be mistaken.

Be careful with dried fruit, unless you know exactly what's in it. A lot of dried fruit has sulphur in it...

Looking at all the sours in your secondary, you can probably use regular cherries. The sugars will get eaten, leaving you with the cherry flavor on top of the already introduced sour in your fermenter.

I know Cuvee de Tomme from Lost Abbey uses them. You could always email Tomme Arthur to see where he gets his. Most brewers I've met are happy to share that kind of info.

Latest posts

Back