sour beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoilerUp

Reaction score
Has anyone tried and had good success with making a sour beer? What precautions do you have to take?

I would suggest going to the Lambic/Wild Brewing section. There are people with a vast knowledge to anything funky/sour, as well as posts that should answer almost any question you have. On a side note i have brewed a few sours now but with the long fermentation's i am not to the point that i can say i have been successful yet. I keep separate tubing and fermenters for my sours since as much as i sanitize i still don't trust my self and would rather play it safe.

I've made a few sours over the years. Like ellijo points to, it takes a while to achieve the levels of sourness in the carboy and about 2-3 more months when you bottle/keg it. I would suggest making a starter with your sour bugs. Look on this site for doing that.

Back