Sour Beer in Washington DC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrfehon

Reaction score
I apologize if this is the wrong forum for my question. I'm going to be in DC in a few weeks for business and I'm hoping to find a few good beer bars with decent selections of draft beers but most importantly, sours. Do any of you know good bars in DC for sours?

Number 1 bet is ChurchKey. Best selection of craft beer in the district.

Other places worth checking out: Smoke and Barrel, Meridian Pint, Pizza Paradiso (2 locations), Scion, Black Squirrel. Not sure what the selection is like at the Bier Baron since it changed names. Most of those places rotate their taps regularly. Check out their websites/Facebook/Twitter for latest offerings.

You should also hit up michael tonsmeire. He lives in the DC area and has offered to meet up on several occasions, although I'm never there long enough or at the right time.

Number 1 bet is ChurchKey. Best selection of craft beer in the district.

Other places worth checking out: Smoke and Barrel, Meridian Pint, Pizza Paradiso (2 locations), Scion, Black Squirrel. Not sure what the selection is like at the Bier Baron done it changed names. Most of those places rotate their taps regularly. Check out their websites/Facebook/Twitter for latest offerings.

These are all great recommendations.

If you have the time, might not be a bad idea to take a trip up to Baltimore and check out of Love and Regret, which is more or less the home base for Stillwater Artisanal

Don't know about full on sour, but Right Proper is doing some cool stuff including some funky things. To get you even more interested if you follow themadfermentationist, RP is owned by Mike T's home brewing buddy Nathan. I think he was once on basic brewing radio with Mike as well.

Don't know about full on sour, but Right Proper is doing some cool stuff including some funky things. To get you even more interested if you follow themadfermentationist, RP is owned by Mike T's home brewing buddy Nathan. I think he was once on basic brewing radio with Mike as well.

Mike's blog is awesome! Can't wait to get my hands on his book! I'll have to check out Right Proper. I'm definitely going to ChurchKey - it's only three blocks from my hotel.

Yeah, those are some damn good recs above (mostly from sweetcell). Right Proper is too new to have proper "sours" but their beers have been really excellent thus far, so you should go (especially since you are staying not too far away)..... I bet this will change over the next year or two. The only other rec I have is that Bluejacket usually has 1-2 sours on tap. Bluejacket is run by the Churchkey/Rustico group, and they make some really good beers (not consistently like Right Proper though). Bluejacket can be a cluster**** on a busy night (weekends, before/after Nats games), but so can Churchkey. If you can, try to get to Chuchkey early (<6pm) and avoid the weekends. Oh, I'm also a huge fan of Of Love & Regret in B-more, but Max's generally has more sours available. If you can make their Belgian/Sour fest some time, your mind (and tastebuds) will be blown!

yup, update my list with Right Proper and BlueJacket. all Whole Foods locations in DC have taps and serve both pints and growlers. if you're around the corner from ChurchKey, might be worth walking in to the P Street location to see what they are offering.

GBD doesn't have a huge selection, but they always have a few very solid sought-after craft beers and they tweet daily happy hour specials. PizzaP has happy hour specials too, and Scion has half off (virtually all of) their beers - for the low-down check out http://www.dcbeer.com/news/dcs-best-craft-beer-happy-hours. DC isn't a cheap place to be a craft beer fanatic... ask SWMBO about it.

Back