Sorghum alternative, that doesn't have to be gluten free???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is a big fan of the DFH Tweason Ale beer, but she is not gluten free. She just really likes it. So I found a clone recipe on the forum here and made it for her. She really likes it (cracked the first bottle last night) and I figure I will make her more in the near future. With that being said, Sorghum extract is very expensive compared to the other base malts out there. I have been looking online for several days now looking for a base malt alternative to Sorghum but cannot find anything. It does not have to be gluten free or anything, but I cannot seem to find something that may be a good substitute out there. Would pilsner, 2-row, etc... any of them work as a replacement to Sorghum? Again, it doesn't have to be gluten free, just a substitute to the sorghum to help drive down the cost. The other ingredients I could get in bulk to help lower the costs too, its just this darn sorghum!!! LOL

BTW, I would like to do this as a BIAB so I can buy the grains in bulk and store them at home when I have time to brew in the future. So I'm not looking for an extract malt alternative.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Perhaps you could just cut the sorghum with ordinary base malt, reducing the cost a little? I know it wouldn't be the same, but might be better than eliminating sorghum entirely.

Perhaps you could just cut the sorghum with ordinary base malt, reducing the cost a little? I know it wouldn't be the same, but might be better than eliminating sorghum entirely.

That's an idea I would consider, but I'm wondering what base malt would be close to the sorghum. Meaning how it tastes which I know it wouldn't be exact. Would Pilsner malt be better than 2-row? Or vice versa? Would wheat be better than Pilsner or 2-row? I'm assuming Munich or Vienna malts may be off more than anything listed above, but I just don't know.

I just can't seem to find any info on this question. I would hate to cut back the sorghum and use something that is way off. But then again as I type this and think about it, maybe it would complement it. Either way I'm just not sure what's a close substitute for the sorghum.

Latest posts

Back