Sorbate in cider: is my bottle mislabeled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schreiner

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Going to add potassium sorbate and capden to my cider tonight and then back sweeten in a keg with concentrate in a few days. Everywhere I read online says 1/2 tsp/ gallon for the sorbate, but check out the label on the bottle... says 1/4 tsp per gallon. Don't want to overdo it. Anyone else run into this? Thanks!

20150205_153035.jpg

Follow the directions on the bottle. It may have a higher concentration of sorbate than other brands. Best bet is to always follow instruction on the bottle as you never know what brand the recipe maker is using.

Follow the directions on the bottle. It may have a higher concentration of sorbate than other brands. Best bet is to always follow instruction on the bottle as you never know what brand the recipe maker is using.

That's how I was leaning. Just found it kind of strange as every reference on the webs shows 1/2 tsp. It isn't like Crosby & Baker (BSG currently) is an "off brand". Looking at the BSG website the 1/4tsp per gallon is still what they recommend.

Latest posts

Back