Son of Fermenter wiring question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRT888

Reaction score
Summer is in high gear and I am considering building a SOn of Fermenter chiller but one part of the plans I don't quite get is the wiring with the dc adapter, fan and thermostat. Can anyone explain this in a little more detail?

I have looked at the plans which say a wire goes from the 12v DC adapter to the thermostat RH terminal, and then another goes from the thermostat's G terminal to the fan, back to the DC adapter.
I really have no idea what this means- is it as simple as connecting 2 wires? How do I modify the DC adapter to connect to them?
I dont have the parts in from of me (which I'm sure would help) but I want to understand what I'm getting myself into before i find them.

Thanks for any explanations or pictures you can provide!

Ok, cut off the conector of the 12v adapter and skin the tip off the wire. You will see that there is another wire(that may be white) inside with nude wire around, twist the nude wire. Identify the nude wire with black colored tape or shrinktube. You result with a two tips wire from the adapter.

Now try it on the fan,attach the black(or blue) wires toghether and the white to the red plug the adaper into the wall and make sure the white and red and dont touch the black one. If it is not working change side(remember to unplug every time you touch the wires).
To extend the lengh of the probe you will have to disasemble your digital thermostat(usualy the same operation to change the bateries). Mine was simple to modify the thermister(the temperature probe)it is made like this c=, on my thermostat it was aready on tiny wires so easy to extand. If you dont want to do this part you can just place the thermostat inside your chiller.

Now to wire this all together. Disasemble the thermostat you will find posts that are named letters the only two ones to use are G and RH(mine was OH). Attach the white wire from the adapter to the RH post and the red one from the fan to the G, now take the black (or blue) wire from the fan and atach it to the black wire from the adapter.

This should work fine..

And dont worry, my thermostat is a little lagy on the cool setting may take 5 minute to kick on after the first manual command. I tought I was wrongly connected but not...

Back